Off Roading Forums banner

Howell vs. Pro-jection ?

427 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  dschwab9 
#1 ·
I did a search and couldn't find much.
Just need to know wich is better, what are the differences? Howell has 2 injectors, Holley has one, does it matter for the 258? Which is more reliable? And what is up with the adjustable Pro-jection set up? How come you have to adjust it?

85 CJ7, 258 Nuttered, some rust with $100 paint job
Lots of stuff to do, no money to do it

#2 ·
Howell is a closed loop system, non-adustable unless you start fooling with the Eprom... and that can add up dollars fast.

Holly sell an closed and non closed loop system... the closed loop system they sell is adjustable by you, the owener.

Now to make things simple for myself, I bought the Howell. I'd had too much fun (sorry, sarcasim is the worst possible form of communicaitons) fiddling with and adjsting the Carter BBD to even think about the Holly.

Others may have a different opinion, but then that's OK with me. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G
#3 ·
I have heard real horror stories about the Holley system. Practically have to carry a laptop with you all the time to keep it running properly. Doesn't the Howell use a GM throttle body? That would be a whole lot easier to find parts/replacement for if needed. Try finding parts or a replacement for the Holley in the whatever little podunk town you are near while out wheelin'. Nothing against podunk towns, best places to live. But getting custom parts in those towns is mail order only.

For the 258 the hands down best EFI is the Mopar MPI kit. Yep, it's real spendy. For the price though you get multi-port injection as well a good electronic ignition system, and parts are easy to come by since the whole thing is put together using Cherokee parts.

September 11, 2001- We will not forget! We will not forgive!

#4 ·
Yeah, tooooo spendy for my wallet! I am doing good right now with what I got, but there will be an upgrade in the near future. Just trying to get the best feel for what to get out of the 2 TBI systems that I know about.

85 CJ7, 258 Nuttered, some rust with $100 paint job
Lots of stuff to do, no money to do it

G
#5 ·
Save your money and buy the howell!! I can guarentee you will enjoy it by not HAVING to figure out how to tune it..The holley is nice if you run a crazy cam and other goodies, but it still wont tell you whats wrong with it WHEN it goes nuts..The howell system is all GM and can be taken to a dealer anywhere to find the ghosts...Or you can by the book and trouble shoot it yourself..There is too many paremiters to figure out on the holley and keep it reliable...I havent personally tried the closed loop kit for the holley, but the adj. one is a major PITA!!

It's as close to a 1ton as it can get and still be a jeep!!! Gotta love it!!

#6 ·
Don't even have to buy the book the troubleshoot the Howell, it comes in the kit. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
I looked at the Holley system before I bought my Howell, never used one, but looks to my it would be a nightmare to get the thing adjust so it runs good and passes emissions.

-Derek Schwab
'97 Sidekick Sport
'83 CJ-7

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.