Off Roading Forums banner

square/round headlight controversy

3K views 88 replies 27 participants last post by  NukePooch 
G
#1 ·
I just had a quick question about this headlight thing. Is this a friendly controversy between CJs and YJs, or CJs/TJs and YJs? Whenever people say round headlights are better, are they referring to just CJs, or CJs and TJs? Stupid question, I know. Just curious.

Oh, and I think I should add, square headlights are the best. Thank you. /wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

Blake
93 YJ/4.0L/33x12.50s/3" Rough Country suspension/1.25" shackles

See less See more
#2 ·
Yeh it is a pretty much friendly thing. It just took dc too long to relize square is wrong. The only person it would be wrong to is jamgood. What do you have to say about that jammy.

And ROUND is better.

Can someone please bring me a hammer my 33's just ate my fender again. Damn i need more lift.

#3 ·
Hey Jim, thanks for dragging me into this/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif I can't help it that everytime I talk to you, you're begging me for my front grill. Probably wanting to make a hy-bred, square/round grill. It'd be about as pretty as you/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

The square/round(notice how SQUARE comes first) is usually a friendly thing. Between me and Jim, it's a bit more/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

As for which is better...look at my signature on the bottom and figure it out for yourselves/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

#4 ·
Oh man. I do enjoy this topic. Some of these guys who will argue this are really a piece of work. /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

"I hate Chrysler! They brought in the square lights! Square lights suk! AMC knew what a jeep was!"

I'm like "...umm, dude, my 88 says AMC all over it. Under the hood, etc. Big stickers. Say AMC on 'em. Even has the little AMC symbol."

They always respond, "Yeah... ...well, square lights suk anyway!"

Like them or not, Jeep/AMC created the square lights. It wasn't Chrysler. But if it wasn't for Chrysler, there would be no Jeep at all. No TJ, no Grand, nothing. Live with it. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

Read up a little on the AMG Hummer, if you guys get a chance. Ever wonder where the term AMG comes from? AM General? American Motors (AMC) had a General projects group that worked on the design for the Hummer. "AMerican motors GENERAL". AMG.

The Hummer was originally designed by a group of AMC Engineers. /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

Pete

"Don't fall into the traps laid by society" -- Henry Lee Summer.

#7 ·
Awe Come awn Pontiac, you know you need that spare for when yours rusts away.
We all know how the CJ guys are they, they can openly talk amongst them selves about someday obtaining and swapping the YJ boxed frame and galvy body, and even the fuel injected power plant, but they can only secretly dream of swapping in the aggressive look of the square headlights, in place of the Bug Eyed volkswagon look of the CJ/TJ.
The repressed feelings, has got to be very hard on the CJ populace and probably, explains their disdain for the mighty YJ. Hehehehe

Jeff
89 YJ
Adversity is imminent, versatility is mandatory, misery is optional.

#8 ·
chrysler did do the square thing.. your jeep says amc all over it.. because they bought them out.. and those are spare parts that were laying around.. that they thru in so as not to waste a dime..

now.. onto this subject.. let me put something up to you guys/gals..

all good things in life are round.. ...marbles.. meatballs.. the earth.. halos.. breasts.. and ...
HEADLIGHTS!

for most of them yj owners.. its becuase that was the first piece of jeep they ever had.. so.. they think its the greatest.. one day they will grow up.. and see that with maturity comes wisdom..

http://www.jeepgod.net

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

#10 ·
*Cough* SQUARE FOREVER *cough* *choke* *sputter* *collapse*

I like my square headlights.
I dunno, I like the way the grill and hood look together with YJ/TJ grills.
It's just CJ grills for me that look odd.

Square/Round (Square first) is normally a friendly thing, although it does get out of hand when people get off the Square/Round (Square first) and go into. "Ya well my TJ has round lights, and coil suspention."
Ahem, were not arguing the coil vs. springs right now, its Square (first) vs. Round.

#11 ·
You really alienate yourself from both "groups" by modifying the grill to hold one of each []|||||O

You're sick man, just plain sick. Seek help...or complete the ultimate Frankenjeep, not sure of which, maybe a little of both.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

hehehehehehe!

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

#12 ·
It may appear to be friendly but it`s not . My best friend has a square headlighted Jeep and he knows I dont care for it , and he says as much too . But , being a good friend I always say No , No the YJ`s are great looking Jeeps . But deep inside we both know that you cannot beat the classic good looks of a Jeep CJ . Guys like Jeepgod and the rest of us CJ owners know . I also notice it seems to be the YJ owners always bringing this topic up . Hmmm , wonder why ? It`s secret ROUND headlight envy . Yep , thats it /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

Jeff and his CJ /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

O|||O /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

#13 ·
I think Jeepgod said it all with...
"all good things in life are round.. ...marbles.. meatballs.. the earth.. halos.. breasts.. and ...
HEADLIGHTS!"
Now I know why I like my CJ soooo much... Round like a nice pair knocks! ;)

78 CJ7 Golden Eagle/TR Ignition/Nuttered but soon to be Weberized

#15 ·
Yeah, out went the AMC 20, in came 'c' clip 35's...kind of a lateral move! It's a friendly thing amongst Jeep owners, the YJ guys seem to get the hottest about it though so I'm not sure if THEY are being friendly. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif! For the record, the YJ was already designed and being produced as Chrysler was buying AMC. YJ's were the "Crown Jewel" in AMC's cap...kinda' sad huh?
I'm obviously kidding. If I were to rebuild a Jeep all over again, I'da picked an EFI 4.0 YJ and I wouldn't have had to put a frame and a body into it. I do love the "classic" CJ look though.

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo

#16 ·
Hey round guys, how come your sig pics are all square.
Your monitor?
Your keyboard?
Your microwave?
Your Welder?
Your Garage door?
Your pedals?
Your center console?
Your grill slats?
Your ...?

See, all good things are square.
Whats round then? Um.. TORX bolts are round.

Obviously square wins.

#17 ·
Hey Inferno, far be it for me to question your MANLY HOOD(hopefully assuming you're a man), but don't you like SOME round things? I mean, yeah, all those square things you mentioned are great! There are tons of square things that rule, especially square headlights/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif But man, breasts are pretty nice. That's just my opinion. Jeepgod did hit that on the nail. As for ALL good things being round, I'm overall gonna have to disagree/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

#18 ·
Well just to straighten you CJ guys out, so you dont sound stupid around the campfire. The D35 did not recieve its C clips until 1990, before that they were retained at the outer axle in a sorta semi floater design. It wasnt actually any stronger, but the hub, and axle didnt part ways with the rest of the vehicle when the scrawny shafts let go.
It sure would have been great though, if there would have been enough of those legendary 2 piece model 20 axles to have made it into the YJ and TJ power train, boy that would have solved my earlier axle dilemnas right at the factory,.... yeah, you bet.
Now who wants to talk boxed frames, or the virtues of rust proofing in a vehicle that may spend much of its life wet and muddy?

Jeff
89 YJ

#19 ·
Jeepgod, does bring up a very good point though, so please,...all of you CJ guys, just try to be understanding, when you catch me lustfully feeling up, your CJ headlights. Hey you can trust me, Ill still respect your Jeep in the morning.

Jeff
89 YJ

#21 ·
Okay, I'll admit I like round headlights better, but that's just a personal thing. There is another topic similar that nobody has mentioned: Early vs. Late CJ bodies. I have an early style (though late production) 1974 CJ5. There are lots of goodies you '76 on CJers take for granted that I can't fit to my jeep: all sorts of neat toys including hardtops (my hardtop is metal--try finding parts and weatherstrip for it!) So I guess my '74 is the real classic looking jeep--next to a CJ2A or CJ3A!

Leaf springs--check
304 V8--check
Original Dana 44 rear--check
Original 1 pc axles--check
Original Trac-loc--check
Round headlights--check

Hmmmm.....maybe the most perfect Jeep ever to leave the factory!

(Ohhhh......I just know I'm gonna get flamed for THAT one! *grin*)

"If it ain't broke, try harder!"
or
"If at first you don't succeed, change the rules!"

#22 ·
lessee...
the tj has a d-44 in the rear, ROUND headlights, a very strong frame, fuel injection...i dunno yj guys..looks like the square crowd is "out"
when the yj came out, for me it was like looking up at a square sun or moon. something unholy and unnatural. just think of whats American...baseball, apple pie, and mom....all of these things are round.. perhaps the yj was a communist plot gone wrong. I wont infer what that means to those who buy these commie-cruisers(beijing bombers, stalin sleds). look at thing realistically, yj's existed for a whopping 9 years. what an insignificant span of time compared to the mighty American CJ..Defender of Democracy through war and peace.
perhaps if square is so great, you can bolt some square tires on your jeep-like vehicle and see how that goes.
oh well...

~~Elusive~~
1 ton tj-7 thingy R.I.P. (Rest In Pieces)
Current State...rolled
http://www.jeepgod.net

#24 ·
Inferno-
Good selective observation's, how about these important round things that are actually on JEEPS;
steering wheel
tires
wheels
guages
r/p
axles
pistons
cam
rollbar tubing
grill slat's are round at the top and bottom
drivelines (well, actually I have both)
even square cut gears are actually round
there's just a few round round items on a Jeep, I won't even go anywhere with comparing them to household items. If you wan't to get into a real gray area, a lot of square things have round corners /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

pbm
There is a difference between being Educated and Intelligent!

#25 ·
For all you square people, why hasn't Jeep (or their parent company) registered the square headlight grill like they did the round headlight grill? (at least I don't think they did) Maybe they're embarrassed to admit that they actually ever made something that ugly?
H8, you can go ahead and feel up our Jeeps round headlights all you want, we'll understand.

Rick
80 CJ7

#26 ·
If the breast's your dealing with are kind of squarish, her plastic surgeon messed up something. Maybe he was previously a YJ engineer for AMC.
In defense of the AMC Square headlights: Wasn't the Federal government involved in the transformation to square headlights? Wasn't there a federal mandate/specifacation about headlights?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.