Off Roading Forums banner

77 scout 727 tranny swap into cj7 258 ?

485 views 4 replies 1 participant last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
Will a 727 tranny that had a d20 tc from a 77 scout swap into my cj7 258 with a d300 tc ? I want to keep the d300 tc ?? TIA Wolf

G
#3 ·
We have an 80 CJ7 with a 258, TF727, and Dana 300. It isn't the original tranny, and I don't know what it came out of, but everything bolts right up. WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! You WILL have front driveshaft clearance problems if you do find one that bolts up. Try the full-sized Jeeps. Problem is the full-sized that used the 727 had driver's side drops on the transfer case. The CJ's have passenger side drops. The 727 pan flares out at the right front corner and actually overhangs the front driveshaft. We ended up with 4" spring lift and 1 3/4" shackles to get it to clear. You know what that means: shocks, sway bar links, brake lines, shims (for caster), etc., etc. Great strong setup though. The 727's were used in motorhomes and behind the noted 426 Hemi.

G
#5 ·
No problem with the driveshaft hitting since we lifted it. The problem is, to get 4" lift, the springs are sooooo stiff there is no flex. Good as far as the driveshaft not hitting, but not good for off-roading. Oh, one other thing, you will need a longer rear driveshaft after lifting as much as you must to clear the front driveshaft. Driveshaft angles are pretty steep also. So far no problems, but I don't expect very long U-joint life.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.