Off Roading Forums banner

Aftermarket Fuel Gauge/Blowing Fuses

2K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  Jaffer 
G
#1 ·
I installed an aftermarket (not factory) fuel gauge in the instrument cluster this weekend. I hook it up as the original, and it blows the IGN fuse every time I turn the key on. If I pull the red power wire, the engine will start with no problem (no fuel gauge, temp gauge though). My question...Are there known problems with aftermarket fuel gauges (internally) that could cause this problem? Does it have to match the temp gauge in some aspect? Should I just purchase a $100 factory replacement for the fuel gauge?

Thanks.
'84 CJ7, Howell

#2 ·
Humm... I'd like to help, but fill out your profile.
You say you
In reply to:

I hook it up as the original
Does this mean:

a. That the the gauge is hooked into the regulator strap on the oil sensor gauge?

or

The gauge is a "stand-alone" gauge not depending on any of the Jeep circurity to work?

Did yo replace the gauge AND the sender, or the gauge only?

G
#3 ·
I put in a gauge from Quadrat** that I waited for 2 months for. It installed in the speedometer cluster and is strapped to the temp gauge. I figured that I could replace the original fuel gauge with this one without concerning myself with another temp gauge. It worked fine before the swap.
The gauge is the only thing that was changed. It must be wired differently from the OEM gauge in some manner, since it blows the fuse when power is supplied.
Thanks for the reply, I just now got my profile updated.

Pat

Pat
'84 CJ7, Howell TBI, TFI, 258

#5 ·
Both Stewart Warner (OEM style) and the cheaper VDO imports (you can tell these by the Hot/Cold & Full/Empty are backwards) are individual full 12 volt units.
You don't use a jumper strap on either and the terminal positions are also different. You are probably shorting directly to ground via the jumper strap.
Also, when you do get it wired up properly your temp gauge won't work (and will probably cook) because it relied on the old fuel gauge to supply 5 volts (instead of 12v).
Now you might know why the catalogs recommend you replace BOTH gauges at the same time.

You should have read my well known gauge & sender article that LEVE was a major contributor of.
Read and learn grasshopper ... http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep/Gauges.htm

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep

G
#6 ·
Thanks again. I did read the article, and used the items in it for diagnosis. My thoughts were the $35 gauge was exactly like the oem, I had no idea that it wasn't. That is why I chose it in the first place. I just want it to work. I will purchase the $105 fuel gauge and be on my merry way.

Much appreciated for your time and effort here.

Pat
'84 CJ7, Howell TBI, TFI, 258

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.