Off Roading Forums banner

35s a good idea?

951 views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  YJAroundTheWorld 
G
#1 ·
I have an 88 YJ with dana 44s front and rear. It has a 3.5" BDS spring lift on it and a 2" body lift. I am running 4.09 gears in both ends with a spool in the rear and a lockrite in the front. So my question is will this setup take 35s, in your opinion. I am not a crazy guy when it comes to the skinny pedal but I do like to push things. I know that I will need to trim my fenders to make the 35s flex all the way, but other than that will I have any trouble. I also saw that Bushwacker (??) has some extended width cutout flares for YJs, will these give me more room than using TJ flares or not. Just curious. Thanks for your help.

Kris

I do the same thing every weekend, its just the location where I do it that changes!

#2 ·
Yes, the 35's will fit. How much they rub and how much power you will have with the 4:09's will depend on what type of wheelin' you do. How wide are they? You might need extended flares to cover the tread if your local Barney Fife requires it.

Rick
80 CJ7

#3 ·
Are you still running 32`s ? Are you after 35`s for just the increase in height or to look cooler/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif ?
I personally feel that for the majority of people , 33`s are a good choice . I just put some 33x12.50x15 " BS Mud Duelers on my CJ5 with American Racing wheels . It goes full lock to lock and doesn`t rub and they don`t bang anywhere on the Jeep. I think if your considering 35`s , you might as well go all the way and do it right ,beef up the axles , get some 37`s or 38`s and really increase your clearance . Just my .02

Jeff

O|||O /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

#4 ·
I run 35's on my CJ with a 3" suspension and 3" body lift. I have 4.10 gears and the 3 speed T150. I also have the Dana 30 front and AMC 20 rear. I didn't have any trouble other than once when I was stupid and blew the front 3.73 gears out-hence the change to 4.10. I run moderate on the pedal and mostly in mud and snow. I liked them. They were considerably better than the 32's they replaced. You have a better setup with the 44s than I did. Just depends on how you drive. I would do it again, but I am upgrading a lot of equipment know that I am doing a frame up resto.

G
#5 ·
I just moved up to 35's, and I'm running a 44 spooled in the rear,a detroited 44 in the front, and I love them. I'm going to run 36 sx's off road. I really see no need for the over kill of 38's, you just spend alot more time and money on power and axles that don't break. I'd love to have 38's but I can go where I want with 36's.

JR
"Some People Live An Entire Lifetime And Wonder If They Have Ever Made A Difference, But The Marines Don't Have That Problem" R. Regan

G
#8 ·
Thanks guys, that is the kind of input I was looking for. I am still running 32s and they look small under it, I was talking to a friend that just switched from 32s to 35s and he said he loves the difference that it makes off-road and I am needing new tires anyway. I will definitely go to 33s when I get new tire just wondering about the 35s. It would be for the sole purpose of more clearance, nothing on my Jeeps is for looks, but I must say it does look cool even if I do say so myself. Do you really thing that 35s are pushing the limit of dana 44s, I would have thought that would be the upper limit be not past the limit, then again maybe I am wrong. Any other opinions?

I do the same thing every weekend, its just the location where I do it that changes!

G
#9 ·
I just put some TJ flares on my YJ last week. I was able to trim all the metal from the back of the fronts and most of the top. It was really the same for the rear wheelwells, too. But they really just give you as much tire coverage as the stock YJ flares(this is not a problem where I am from, cops don't look twice). Those new Bushwacker pocket flares look promising for those looking for more tire coverage. Plus they will allow you to flattie the front fenders and keep your original side marker lamp. You will have to relocate your side marker lamp if you want to do that to your TJ flares. I haven't seen them yet, but on an advertisment, Bushwacker said that they have some black and stainless covers to hide the pockets in the flares. That should get them looking more like normal flares. I like the design as well, those will be a breeze to install.

If you are just looking for a larger tire opening, just stick with stock TJ flares. But if you want some more tire coverage, flattie front fenders, and have larger wheelwell openings, then take a look at the Bushwacker flares.

I sound like a salesman/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif.

Jason

----------------
[]llll[] '90 YJ & '88 Grand Waggie

G
#10 ·
I also have 35's on my YJ. It has a 2" body lift w/ 4.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty springs. When I flexed it with that combination it rubbed the flares pretty good(see pic). After I put the TJ flares on, it should have fixed this problem, but I havn't flexed it after I put them on. The 4.5" RE ExD lift are actually only 4" lift springs, b/c the shackles(included with the kit, which I only purchaced the springs) are 1" over stock. This is what gives you the additional 1/2" of lift, but their kit should give you 4.5" of lift.

All of this being said you should be able to fit 35" tires with 4" spring lift, 2" body lift, and some fender trimming(TJ flares or those new Bushwackers). But all jeeps are different and you usually get differing amounts of lift, so could never tell you for sure.

I would say that 35" tires are not overkill for D44's. I would say that they are just right.

Jason

----------------
[]llll[] '90 YJ & '88 Grand Waggie

#11 ·
ya, go for the 35's (or maybe those 34 x 9.50's)
i think they would be about perfect for your 4.09's if you had a automatic without overdrive. (i forget, what tranny you got?}
if they rub alittle just do some trimming and modify your bump stop some, unless your building a show jeep /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

3/4tonYJ

http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton
"Sept 11th 2001" will not be forgotten

G
#12 ·
whether or not 35s are overkill depends on how much horsepower you have, and how you use it. If you have a 4cyl, the Dana 44 will hold up fine. If you're running a blown, nitrous injected Big Block 502...and like to regulalry unleash all those happy horses....i doubt that 44 would hold up with stock tires on it!

-mike

Give me Jeep or Give me Death!!!

(Will trade functioning organs for CJ-7 or flatfender)

#13 ·
YJason,
Id like to see a pick of your jeep if possible. Could you email me some, or maybe a link to them? Thanks!!
=-Ben

I love Jeeps.....
I love the Rubicon.....
I love Pismo....
What more is there to say?
48 CJ2A....87 YJ....94 ZJ....
O.R.E.O. (Off-Road Enthusiasts of Oceanside)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.