Off Roading Forums banner

Steel Tub Replacement Questions

483 views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  pontiac58 
G
#1 ·
I've decided to take the plunge and go with new steel. My chassis is all done (76 CJ5) and I've collected all the other sheetmetal. Now the tub: for steel it looks like there are a couple choices, the cheap(er) imported ones and the Willys-Overland. If anyone has done either I'd like to hear about it. With the import I would expect to do some drilling, bending, etc. With the Willys I would expect a better and possibly better steel. Also, what is the going price for the Willys? I visitd their website a while back and didn't see a price list. Any input appreciated.

76 CJ5,2.5" lift/Rancho 9000's,258/T-177/D300,HEI,Offy,Locked F&R

#2 ·
Hey tom. I am doing a job replacing a cj7 tub. The tub came from QTec and is one of the cheaper ones. The only thing we have done to it so far is bacisally paint the underside. We did put it on saw horses yesterday and started thinking about swapping parts. The one thing i noticed is you have to reinforce the tub area for the seltbelts and rollcage. Also it doesnt have the body mounts that are under the rear seat. Other then that we havent gone anyfarther. Hope someone else helps out.

Oh yeh the winch is still sitting on the floor. I am not sure what kelsey is waiting for and i burned up the motor on mine do something stupid.

Can someone please bring me a hammer my 33's just ate my fender again. Damn i need more lift.

G
#3 ·
Do the body mounts look like they'll line up? The best deal on the cheapie I've seen so far is from NO EXCUSES out your way in Jersey. Their last catalog I believe had it under $2300 including crating and shipping.
On that winch motor, do you still have that # I gave you for John at the Minnesota 4WD Center? If not I've got it at home. For what its worth a local motor shop could probably rewind that motor

76 CJ5 258 w/HEI, 2.5"Lift/Rancho 9000s,T-177/Dana300/Warn 8274, Locked F&R,Mosers.......

#4 ·
I should still have that number somewhere if i dont i will email you. The local motor shop that is capapable of doing it, the guy is off the wall sometimes. When i first got the winch and showed him the motor and told him to get me a spare he just blew a lid. He didnt understand why i wanted a spare. The guy is great at what he does but he has to be in the mood to do it. I also may have found a cheap way to get motors for it. I havent measured any thing yet but an old, old ford prestolite starter motor looks to be the same. I have also kicked around the idea of getting a newer motor with in and out and just make an adapter plate. But who knows.

I dont know if you need fenders or not but leon rosser has a good deal on all the sheetmetal. Jack and no excuses seems to be good. I have talked to him a few times but never got anything from him. On the body mounts we havent droped the tub on the frame yet we are waiting for fuel and brake lines then the puppy will go on.

Can someone please bring me a hammer my 33's just ate my fender again. Damn i need more lift.

G
#5 ·
I've got just about every little thing I need other than the tub. I'm very interested to know how your's goes on. I'm also curious as to the quality of the crating and the condition it arrived in....I assume it came from the West Coast. Good luck with your motor guy; its sometimes hard to separate genius from insanity. My Mercruiser guy was the same way...

76 CJ5,2.5" lift/Rancho 9000's,258/T-177/D300,HEI,Offy,Locked F&R

G
#6 ·
Have you looked at what Willys-Overland(.com) has for a replacement? I know that they are out of the OEM CJ5 tubs but they have all of the original Jeep blueprints and guarantee the fit of their replacement tubs. I don't know about price, but the quality is suppose to be high.

Good Luck!
Kriss

#8 ·
The tub came shipped in some junk luanne plywood. There are a few dings in it but nothing major. The tub was made in the phillapines. I soon as i get back from the honeymoon i will probably be setting the tub on the frame. I will let you know when i get back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.