Off Roading Forums banner

more jeep problems

329 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  JoeyCJ55 
#1 ·
I'm getting really frustrated with this pos.
I took off the carb,fixed a few things..
took off the steering gear and replaced the input shaft seal.
I couldn't get the "ear" things on the drag link to line up to fit a bolt in..so I used some small bolts
I put two bottles of fluid in,put everything back in and bolted it up.
The engine's running alright I guess..but I heard a strange squealing.
I moved the steering wheel to the right a tad..and it stopped making the noise.
The steering wheel is very hard to turn..
I let it go back to the position it was squealing in and my motor died.
I didn't think the two were related at all.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

78 CJ7
Spring over 33's
4.3L V6, TH350

#3 ·
Don't know if this would matter, but check your belt(s). Make sure it's not too tight or too loose. Then also bleed the system like W.C. said. The reason I said check the belt was because it was squeeling. And also because the motor died which might mean it's not tight enough and the charging system isn't getting enough juice. Just some thoughts man. BTW - I haven't been paying enough attention lately, when did you get a new Jeep? Or is this your old one? Cause I remember you had your Jeep sold on E-bay, but the guy hadn't seen it it. Anyway, good luck Joey!

#4 ·
bled system..seems to be a little better.
It's still hard to turn the wheel though.
Fluid level is good and I bled it thoroughly.
There didn't seem to be any binds,but the steering seemed to be a bit loose.
Any more ideas?

BTW jammy I did get a new jeep.
I bought her for 2,900 and I knew she had a bad transfercase.
It has a chevy 4.3L th350 auto tranny spring over,2 inch body lift,33's and a bunch of other stuff.
The rear axle bearings were gone after two days :(
I had to change a front axle seal too..so I ripped that apart.
I ended up replacing the bearings up front because they looked pretty bad..and I replaced a bunch of other stuff.
I'm getting sick of the jeep as it has been down for over a month and I have only driven it a few times.

78 CJ7
Spring over 33's
4.3L V6, TH350

Attachments

#5 ·
Hang in there Joey. I've owned my Jeep since April and guess how many miles I've driven it......Zero, zip, zilch, nadda. I can start it and let it run in the driveway, (seems to run great!) but it won't move under it's own power yet. I know what you're going through, it's hard to watch everyone else wheel their rig while you wrench on yours. It will all pay off, you just gotta believe. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

"Don't tread on me."

#7 ·
In reply to:

I couldn't get the "ear" things on the drag link to line up to fit a bolt in..so I used some small bolts
Hummm...
1. Just what's the "Ear" things?
2. Why use the incorrect part? That's not a fix, that's masking a problem. You gotta go back and really fix the problem.
3. Remember you mask one problem and it affects many other parts and you may chase your tail fixing problems that were not there before the mask was installed.

It's a garden trail you're on...

1. Stop walking.
2. Go back to the beginning.
3. Think about why you masked the problem.
4. Figure out the real problem.
5. Install a fix to the problem, not a mask.
6. See what other problems went away to confirm the mask.

#8 ·
I don't know why I called em ear things
They are like collars.
I believe they are part of the steering coupler.
I figured that its just a different size bolt,so it really couldn't hurt it much.
I may be wrong..
I spent about an hour or two on these two damn bolts trying to get them to line up and finally gave up and used a smaller size.
I planned on putting the original bolts in when I could get some "outside" help.
I just wanted to make sure that was the problem before I spent much more time on it.

78 CJ7
Spring over 33's
4.3L V6, TH350

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.