Off Roading Forums banner

258 emissions, what can i scrap!

596 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Tippy 
G
#1 ·
Lets say I am rebuilding a 258 6cyl for a jeep and I don't have to worry about emissions equipment when it goes back in. What part of the emissions and other equipment on this motor (originally a 1985) can I scrap and what are necessary to keep it running well. I only want to remove things that will increase performance and make my engine bay, wiring, vacuum hoses, fuel lines, etc. cleaner looking, simpler, and easier to service. I already plan on removing the computer with the Nutter upgrade, any other ideas, sites or write ups on this would be greatly appreciated!!

-Jon

1985 CJ7, 258 6, 77k, T-176 4spd, Dana 300, 1" body lift, 31's

#2 ·
What I did...

Get the sucker running nicely.
Idle it for a few minuites, then pop the hood and pull one wire/cable. If it dies, that's one of the keepers, if it keeps going, the one you just pulled is crap.

As for hoses, just idle the thing like before, then pinch/clamp the hose. If it keeps going good, then pull the hose, and plug the two holes in whatever you took the hose out of.

#4 ·
The first thing that I took off was the EGR valve. Take it off, trace it's base on a piece of 1/4" steel plate, cut it out, drill two holes, goop it up with permatex and bolt it down. Then take that stupid valve and skip it across the nearest body of water!

My girlfriend said if I spent one more dime on my Jeep she would leave. Man I'm going to miss her!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.