Off Roading Forums banner

weatherproofing seats?

655 views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  New_Toyz 
#1 ·
I'm going to install some toyota supra seats in my Jeep withing the next week or so and was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to weatherproof them short of spending a bunch of money on wet okole seat covers. My Jeep usually doesn't have a top on, safari if it's raining or hardtop if snowing otherwise nothing.

#2 ·
i wouldnt sweat it.. i have stock seats with seat covers.. and i hardly ever...ever have a top on.. even in the rain.. and these cheap covers have held up since spring..
i have seen these seat covers that just slip on.. made out of rain coat material like stuff.. they fold up into a pouch.. thought they would be cool.. about 50 bucks for 2... cant remember where i seen them..

http://www.jeepgod.net

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

G
#3 ·
I agree with jeepgod dont sweat it too much. one thing I did though was spray tent waterproofing stuff you know that stuff you get at popular or REI all over them. then invest in some good seat covers not the cheap checker $29 ones. That should do ya
just my thoughts

Travis
Lots of goodies!

#5 ·
Perhaps not the best idea considering how everyone is still in panic mode from Sept. 11th, but an idea I had, wouldn't look too great but function above form right?

Take the frame off the bottom of your seats, take the seats to the airport, and get one of the guys who wraps luggage with plastic wrap to wrap those suckers for you.

#6 ·
Damn you! You stole my idea. Well, I was actually gonna suggest syran wrap/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif, but I doubt that would hold. So I'd suggest going to an office supply store and getting a roll of the plastic wrap stuff that Inferno is talking about. It'd look tacky, but would probably work. But then again, water might find it's way underneath and then you'd have a REAL problem. So like the others said, don't sweat it. I've ran in the rain with no top a few times and my seats only mildly smell of fungi. And there are only a few green spots of mold on them. But BOY of BOY does my dog like to like them/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

*I'm just playing. My seats have held up fine from the rain. BTW - Are they cloth, vinyl, or leather? If anything, through a seat cover over them. Some cheapy $20 one.

#7 ·
The stuff they use at the airport is really though stuff, hard to rip, you have to cut it off normally.

And although it's clear plastic, they normally put so much on, it makes it look white. (Some law of refraction crap.)

They would definately be 100% waterproof, and it would mostlikely cost less then $30 CDN for a pair.

Also, it would only take about 40 seconds.

The other option is even better, but involves finding someone with a big enough shrink wrap machine.

I've got a buddy who is a butcher, and have a vaccum packer.

It's big enough for my seats, and I've been contemplating it for a while.
It would be more waterproof.

#9 ·
The only reason I'm "sweating it" is because they are cloth seats and it rains pretty frequently where I live. The only problem I see with using the airport wrap stuff is that there is a big open area below the headrest where the 5 points are going to go. Btw, with the stock seats I never cared about them getting wet but I'm afraid the cloth ones will smell if they get drenched.

#10 ·
There's a local shop here here that makes seat covers for , well...the Buick "Duece & a quarter"/Pimpmobile crowd (I was told it keeps "hair grease" off the upholstery /wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif). The ones I've seen are made of clear heavy vinyl w/ diamond plate pattern (like carpet runners,30-40mil), custom fit, piped, & sewn. At about $50 a pair, they're cheaper than WallyWorld. Should keep the dew/rain off and would dang sure last for a long time.
Then again, you'd have to loadup on "Gold Bond" from all the sweating your arse would do!/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

Caver Dave
'72 Commando "Project Mossy"

#11 ·
If you call a local moving company they should be able to sell you a roll of the stuff. It's called shrink-wrap. Might not be quite as strong as the airport stuff, but it'll be pretty close, and you should be able to pick up a roll for $30.00. With a roll of it, you could shrinkwrap your whole jeep. Hey, there's a thought, shrinkwrap top. Lot cheaper than one of those supertops.

G luck

/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif MNT /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

#12 ·
I just bought a set of covers made by grant for my f150 and they are water proof. Check out http://www.grantproducts.com Then call JCwhitney and buy them for $17.00 apiece. The covers don't work with seats that have built in seatbelts, but I just moved the cover out of the way on my f150. So far I really like them, they are very tough (my lab hasn't poked his toenails thru yet)/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif On the cj I sprayed my bestop seats with marine canvas waterproofing, and it has held up well also.

Lugnut 77 cj5

#13 ·
The plastic wrap will make you sweat like crazy plus be slick enough to slide on. My seats were shot, but had good frames. A night class in auto upholstery at our voc college and I had myself new seats covered in water resistant canvas which sheds the water but still breathes. The foam is closed cell so they can even be hosed clean if necessary.
Actually, that canvas would probably make a good seat cover for any kind of seat. Check with an upholstery shop.

BP

Brent & Sons
49-CJ3A, 51-CJ3A

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.