Off Roading Forums banner

258 pains.....

356 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  veitcha 
#1 ·
I'm in the process of going over my wonderful 4.2L, and I'm finding that the condition of certain things around the motor is a little shabby, like the cold air hose, and the air cleaner container, and stuff along thoose lines. How detrimental would it be if I took the cold air hose off and let it aspirate for the moment? is there anything I can do with the piece that is over the carb/air cleaner assembly? I've got to read over my manual a bit more, just wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

88'/4.2L/30's/

G
#2 ·
you can get a new air-intake "accordian" hose at a parts house like pep boys or checker etc. not expensive. your air filter canister is shot? the whole steel can? hmmm.......you really need that to house the filter. how shot is it?

G
#4 ·
I bet you did what I did. You ran over it, didn't you! I was screwing with the damn Carter POS and I had the filter and all the other crap laying on the ground in front of the tires. I went to start the jeep up, forgot the stuff was in front of the tires and that the jeep was still in gear. OH [censored]!!! Freaking carb it's all your fault, if you would just idle right none of this would have happened!!!....I know how you feel man, just let it out. LOL ;-)

G
#6 ·
Forget getting a new air cleaner assembly for the BBD. Just get yourself a Motorcraft carb, and a bright shiny new chrome air cleaner!
My 2 cents.

Corvette Yellow '83 CJ-7. 4WD hardware fiberglass. Everything new but Fenders. 31" Desert Dogs. 2" lift.
Rebuilt from ground up.

#7 ·
that was part of my question, I use to have a straight air cleaner ontop of my carb on my camaro a few years ago, just wondering I was screwin' myself If I just didn't use some of thoose hoses that go into the air cleaner assembly. No I didn't run over it, but it's been tempting, considering how bad the thing has been running recently, Since it's not registered and not insured right now, I won't drive it to far off my driveway. So that leaves me with trips around the house. I'm willing to bet that there's a little bit of that problem gets back to the fact that It hasn't been run a lot or for a long time. Even though I try to run it for 5 mins a day untill it's on the road.

88'/4.2L/30's/

#8 ·
An open element filter is OK for a street poser, but if you do any wheelin', it makes it way too easy for water to get into the carb and cause all kinds of problems. I'd recommend sticking with a stock type filter housing.

Rick
80 CJ7

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.