Off Roading Forums banner

What one EZ Locker or Lock Rite

1K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
I am considering getting either a Detroit EZ Locker or a Powertrax Lock Rite. Anyone please offer advice. I run 31" tires 6cyl nothing hardcore. Just looking for a little more.

#4 ·
I had alockrite and my buddy had the detroit both about the same but make sure you use a high performance crosshaft.Mine broke in half and ate my ring and pinion.

My jeep may be ugly to some.But she's a beauty in my eyes.

#5 ·
Either one is good, personaly I think the lock right is a little better and as stated by another get the hardened cross shaft if you are going to use this in the rear. You will have to ask for it or make sure you get the kit with it included. This kit will cost a little more but is well worth the cost.
GP'n

G
#7 ·
We've installed plenty of both brands front and rear. They have both been broken front and rear although every Jeep is different also is the driver and their habits. Some say that the machine work is better on the Lock Rights but that hasn't been the case at our shop. I have a close friend that has the Lock Right up front and the EZ in the rear. He does moderate to rough offroading and both of them have held up fine. It'll come down to price, availability and of course flavor. Good luck, Ben

JpShp
http://www.jeep-shop.com

#8 ·
Also if you break an EZ-locker they are replaced under warranty. However if you want to upgrade to a full-blown Detroit the price of the blown EZ is deducted from the cost of the Detroit. I have 2 D44 EZ-Lockers for this reason. Whenever I get around to swapping out my suspension and axles and have beat the snot out of them for a couple months I'll voice an opinion on durability....

'89 Comanche, '89 Wrangler, '74 Postal

G
#9 ·
The warranty on the Lockright is longer and it is machined better. Tractech ripped the design off from Powertrax and that's why they are being sued for it! The manuels for the Lockright suggest nothing over a 33" tire but the EZ locker only suggested 32" and smaller. If I were you I'd get the Lockright with a new center shaft AND new thrust washers. In my opinion new thrust washers are the key to longer living lunch-box lockers, too much gear play means you pay!

#10 ·
For sure I would go with the detroit.I f you break it than you know it's time for a full case locker.And the no-spin would be only couple hundred more.

My jeep may be ugly to some.But she's a beauty in my eyes.

G
#11 ·
I'd have to say get the lock-right and you'll love it, i have one in my truck for about 3 years and about 65,000 miles later and it still performs like the day i installed it. easy to put in, a couple of hours and presto your done and i do abuse it pretty much, wear a set of tire down each year because i give it just enough gas to make it lock when going around corners. i just like doing that, just call me crazy.

G
#12 ·
Thnaks for all your replies. This is great. I liked the idea of Detroit being upgradeable. However, the majority says to try the lock right so I will. Also, thanks for the info on the hardened cross shaft and thrust washers. Didn't know that the kit may not come with the shaft. Real life saver.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.