Off Roading Forums banner

shifter noise

748 views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  lumpy85 
G
#1 ·
My 86 CJ7 , 258 , T4 trans has alot of rattling in the shifter , especially in 3rd gear and gets worse at higher RPM's. Should I replace with Hurst Billet/Plus shifter? Is there something else I should be looking at? Jeep has 4 inch lift. How involved a project is changing shifter to Hurst? Im not a mechanic- just hobbiest! Any info is appreciated. Thanks

#3 ·
Are you sure it's the tranny shifter and not the transfer case shifter? Mine was doing that and it was the transfer case shifter. All you have to do is get the little donut gasket that goes at the end of the shift lever. Cost $0.25
The hurst shifter is a waste of cash. Just pull up the access panel on the floor and everything is right there and easily accessable.

G
#4 ·
improved shifter for 80 cents

First I to have a rattling noise and as stated by others it is the transfer case shifter. However my t-5 shifter was also loose and in need of a fix. Not wanting to spend alot of money the hurst shifter I retro-fited the stock t-5 shifter to remove the slop.

I fould that most of the loseness in my shifter was in the square slip joint between the shift handle and the trany, not in the trany it self. I threaded 8 holes in the handle, 2 on each side of the box tube. I then used bolts to hold 8 nuts on the holes, and welded the nuts on. The handle was then placed over the shifter stud and bolts threaded into the holes and tightened till they held it in place fermly. I may not have needed the nuts but the shifter was so thin I only alowed got one full on the bolts without. I did not want to risk needing more threeds later as my welder access is limited. Here is a picture.

This was a Great improvement, and one I wish I had made much sooner, and it only cost 80 cents in bolts and nuts. Vertually all of the loosness is gone.

bandhmo

Attachments

#5 ·
Re: improved shifter for 80 cents

No offense bandhmo but that looks like crap! I spent 12 bucks at the jeep dealer to buy the bushing and clip. Besides how long did it take you to do all that work?

85 CJ7 4inches 33ssr's infinite projects

G
#7 ·

Yes I could look beter but the shift boot covers it up so It looks the same as stock. Plus I saved $11.20 over you and this will not lossen up like the stock setup does. More improtently it is a jeep fuction is king every thing else is secondary.

bandhmo

#8 ·

hey bandhmo try using spellcheck next time it is a great feature. I plan on putting my t18 out of a ford in my jeep so I dont think I will be wearing the new bushing out!

85 CJ7 4inches 33ssr's infinite projects

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.