Off Roading Forums banner

O/T Best digital camera...

363 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Alfred 
#1 ·
What's the best bang for the buck digital camera? I know some of you guys got some nice ones, whats the best deal out there? Which data storage format is best???

Lugnut 77 cj5

#3 ·
You can ask 100 different people out there, and get 100 different answers. It all boils down to your needs and what you can afford. You want to start comparing megapixels, zoom (optical or digital), battery type and memory type. Make a list of features that you HAVE to have and go from there. For me, I wanted a minimum of 2.1 megapixels, something that takes ordinary double A batteries and uses a compact flash card for memory. The zoom wasn't AS important as the others. I ended up getting the HP Photosmart 315 for $299 about 9 months ago. You can get that model for about $235 now. I'm VERY happy with it. The batteries last long and it's easy to use.

Keith

ITS GOOD ENOUGH /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

http://www.dreamwater.com/ironpines

#4 ·
It depends on what you want to do with it. I wanted something that would take pictures for write-ups and would plug right up to the computer. I got an Intel Pocket PC cam for ~$140. It wont do high-quality action shots, but it takes 10-second film clips.... Its exactly what I needed (and not a single bit more).

'89 Comanche, '89 Wrangler, '74 Postal

#7 ·
Definitely do a search.

Media is irrelevant, it very rarely goes bad, so once you have it, you're keeping it. I've taken about 5,000 pics with my Toshiba M60, great camera, and it takes SmartMedia. The flash is a little weak, but it's not a huge problem.

Smoe things to look for are the battery type, some are camera specific and can cost up to $80, mine takes AA rechargeables.

Battery life, some cameras can take only 50 pics until the battery has to be replaced or recharged. Mine can take 200 with the flash or 400 without. Having a separate viewfinder from the LCD is important as it takes a lot of energy to run the LCD.

Definitely optical zoom over digital. Digital is just about worthless.

Larger size. You can always scale down, never up, so a 2.1 is better in that regard than a 1.3.

Downloading. Mine uses USB, and it takes about 4 seconds to download a 1Mb picture and less than a second on the smallest resolution (896x600).

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.