Off Roading Forums banner

CJ Liftgate latch options?

506 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  yjdave 
#1 ·
Hi all, I just finished putting the hardtop on my CJ-7 tonight with help from a friend. I bolted it all down, closed the liftgate and swung the spare tire carier shut...well, almost shut! The top of the swingout tire carier (unit from Advanced Frame Works that came with the frame) hits the lach handle for the liftgate. This appears to be a standard type "pickup topper" or "RV" style latch. Does someone know of a latch that has an outside height of no more than 1.25"? It can be a "key only" type with no twist handle if such a thing exists and where I could get one.
Please help as I just removed the lach for now, but I would like to make it right before it gets too cold out. Thanks!

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo

See less See more
#2 ·
they are identical to the handle on most pickup toppers. we swapped one out from topper to hardtop after the key was lost. if you have an RV dealer nearby , you can probably get a low profile one for not too much. i have seen the low profile ones.

J ust
E mpty
E very
P ocket

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.