Off Roading Forums banner

Going vertical and keeping oil pressure

3K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  H8monday 
G
#1 ·
When I see all the picture here on this board of people going up these extreme vertical trails I have to wonder if anybody is having troubles keeping oil pressure, or if you all have modified your oil pans or something.
I'm thinking that if I put fuel injection on my engine it will run at any angle or even upside down, but then how do I keep from blowing it up from lack of oil?

#2 ·
If your going to go upside down, you have far greater things to worry about /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

I lose pressure for short periods of time but don't worry to much about it.
I guess you use a dry sump if you really needed to.

Wayne @ Big Island RockCrawlers
"PYRO" The Rock Crawler
Web Site: http://www.members.tripod.com/surfmac/Index.html

G
#3 ·
i never had a problem with my ford motor. i have seen guys who when at an angle for a bit and thier valves would start talking to them. the ol' ford never did that. i now have a chevy motor so i'll have to see how it does when i get back on the trail. hopefully soon!!!!

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
vortec350/4L80E/d300/d60fr/14br/detroits/4.56/38's

#4 ·
I have actually been looking at the Moroso oil accumalators for this reason. They have an inexpensive one (80.00) that is gravity feed 1.5 qts, and a pressurized 3qt. one that pressurizes the system if your oil pressure drops below a given amount, that one runs about 180.00.

pbm
There is a difference between being Educated and Intelligent!

#5 ·
pbmcauliffe, That's good idea, those are for pre-oiling an engine before you start it, right? or I'm I thinking of something else?
How long would you have with 3 qts. of pressurized oil do you think? Does it refill automatically or is it a one shoot deal?

Wayne @ Big Island RockCrawlers
"PYRO" The Rock Crawler
Web Site: http://www.members.tripod.com/surfmac/Index.html

#6 ·
From what I have read at http://www.jegs.com it is plumbed into the pressure side of the system and opens a valve when the pressure drops below a set point, it does refill itself and maintains the systems pressure. I believ they were originally used for maintaining pressure at a launch if the oil was away from the pickup, or all sucked up into the upper end by high volume pumps. They are also used for pre-oiling too though. Look for "Moroso Oil Accumaltors" on Jegs or Summits website, or Moroso.
The following is the item description for them from Jegs(It won't let me link directly to the page)
The Moroso Accumulator is an engine saving add-on to any high performance oiling system. It is designed to provide oil pressure should the normal engine oil pressure drop below the optimum operating level during hard acceleration, severe cornering or hard braking or when oil surges away from the oil pump pickup. #710-23900 is a vertical, gravity fed unit designed for small-displacement light-duty applications and includes mounting brackets. #710-23900 is a pressurized version intended fro competition use and features an air pressure gauge, cold start valve and free-floating piston which allows for versatile mounting. Mounting bracket kit available separately.

pbm
There is a difference between being Educated and Intelligent!

G
#8 ·
Yeah one of the magazines did an article on one of those accumlators once. Actually useful different info, anyways if I remember correctly it could be used to pre-lube, automatically added when low (maybe had an extra oil pressure switch) and I would think you would have to have someway to refill it otherwise wouldn't you be running 3 qts over after the shot of oil potentially?

#9 ·
No it just recirculates back into the accumulator, and repressurizes. It can cycle on and off indefinitely if/when needed. I was planning on running one when I swapped in the 5.0, but the double humped pan, and the rearward pick up of the mustang engines, along with the excelent oiling propperties of the 5.0, has made it seem uneccessary. I maintain good oil pressure, even when vertical for extended periods. The only time I dropped oil pressure was when I slipped backwards and sideways, on the upper half of "The Escalator" in Moab Utah, but I was actually inverted up against the wall.

Jeff
89 YJ
Adversity is imminent, versatility is mandatory, misery is optional.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.