Anyone using a chain linkage? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Addict

Anyone using a chain linkage?

Well, my mechanical clutch linkage has driven me to the point of insanity. Everything I've tried won't generate enough movement to fully disengage the clutch. So I've been considering the Advance Adapters chain linkage. Hydrolic scares me, just something else to leak, blow up, or make my life miserable. Any war stories with the chain linkage? Seems like it would be a simple fix to my problem.

"Don't tread on me."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 01:32 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Anyone using a chain linkage?

what problems are you having???
if its not getting enough throw.. then you want to align it.. as you are looking at the engine side of the bellcrank.. that the short rod (which goes to the throw out fork) is at.. that connecting tab thing should be straight down.. pointing at the ground.. you can adjust the linkage that goes to the pedal to achive this..

http://www.jeepgod.net

<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Addict

With the stock clutch rod, the tab on the clutch side points towards the front of the Jeep, not good. With the extended clutch rod (to compensate for the 2" body lift) w/heim joints that I bought from 4+ offroad, the tab on the clutch side points towards the rear of the Jeep. The linkage then moves above horizontal and gets hung up. Still no disengagement. Bellcrank appears to be in correctly, (longer tab on the clutch rod, shorter tab on the adjuster).

I also have to use an 1" spacer to space the pivot point on the bellhousing towards the front of the Jeep, so it is parallel with the pivot point on the fiberglass body. When I step on the clutch pedal, the pivot on the body pushes towards the drivers side and the pivot on the bellhousing pushes towards the passenger side. Not good. I can actually see the bellhousing flex where the pivot mounts. Extremely bad. If left in this condition, the bellhousing would surely crack after a week's worth of driving. That's another reason why the chain linkage is so attractive.

I just got off the phone with an Advanced Adapters tech and he said the chain linkage will not work with in the frame rail exhaust. That doesn't help me. The exhaust has to stay where it is, no room to run it ouside the frame rail on account of the nerf bars.

Looks like I'm stuck.

"Don't tread on me."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 02:44 PM
Keyboard Implanted

alittle confused here.. by bell housing.. do you mean the bellcrank? the hollow shaft with the tabs?
you have a longer clutch rod.. and you have the bellhousing spaced out towards the front to align with the body mount.. so far so good?
you should be able to adjust the clutch rod.. enough to move that bell housing side of the bellcrank tab so it points downward.. that is where you need it to point..
im confused on what you are saying is flexing.. or moving.. the bellcrank back and forth? do you have the retaining clips in?
this is a decent setup.. i have hiem joints in mine.. and my bellcrank is all kinds of misaligned.. not parallel with anything.. and it still works fine..

<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Addict

Sorry for the confusion jeepgod. Let me see if I can clear this up. The bellcrank is OK. Bushings are good and clips are in. Take a look at my lousy picture to get an idea as to what is happening.

"Don't tread on me."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-549818-mockup.jpg (31.4 KB, 2 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 07:49 PM
Keyboard Implanted

does it do this flexing when you push the clutch in.. ie. not when the engine is running?... for the bell housing.. i would drill out those holes.. and put longer bolts in.. with nuts on the back.. its just aluminum.. so with that spacer.. chances are its losing its bite.. i have lost those bolts all together.. ugh..

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Addict

Yep, the flexing occurs any time the clutch pedal is pressed in, with or without the engine running.

The bellhousing is half-a$$ed OK. The top bolt hole is kinda messed up and the bottom one is holding for now. The longer bolts with the nuts on the end sound like a good idea.

"Don't tread on me."
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 09:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i just swapped to an auto but when i had the np435 i ran the aa chain linkage. i hated it. i had trouble with the bracket moving on me and i'b be on a trail with no clutch. i was always trying to adjust it. i'd go hydro.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
vortec350/4L80E/d300/d60fr/14br/detroits/4.56/38's
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2001, 05:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i got a.a.clutch kit, never put it on, seemed like it wouldn't last off roading.it hung under frame.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2001, 08:40 AM
Dean

When I swapped in a 5.0L into my 82 CJ-7, I didn't want to go with a hydraulic clutch for the same reasons as you. The bellhousing that I have doesn't have a provision for bolting up the bellcrank. I drilled & tapped a .25" thick piece of angle iron and welded it across the top of the frame, and bolted the tranny end bellcrank bracket to it. The firewall bracket was left in the stock location. The set-up works like a charm for me, no more problems with dropping the adjustment rod because of tranny flex.

Dean

http://www.feepness.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode