Puegot to AX-15 Swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 08:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Puegot to AX-15 Swap

I think I may have just hit the JackPot, I have run across an ax-15 out of a 90 Cherokee that the guy is willing to sell me for $50....yes $50, now the question is will that bolt in place of the Puegot that is in my rig. I know that the input shaft may be different into the t-case but I am thinking that a 90 may be a match. What else do I need to get from the donor vehicle. Will my clutch and hydraulic setup work what about the bell housing and flywheel? It does have an internal slave cylinder like my peugot does. Please let me know, now that I have dana 44s and am locked both ends I dont think I puegot will last too long. Thanks for your help.

Kris

I do the same thing every weekend, its just the location where I do it that changes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 09:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Puegot to AX-15 Swap

Your right about the BA10/5 not lasting trying to drive your new train. The bell housing on the AX15 will bolt up the same way on the engine. The holes on mine matched perfectly. The real hard spot was getting those stupid star head bolts on top off the Pugeot bell housing. A real contorsionist job. Takes a good deal of patience and penetrating fluid with a socket union joint and extensions. I finaly cheated. I took my hole saw, cut two access holes in the floor pan lined up on the hump and it was much easier access. I just plugged them with universal hole plugs sold for fire walls from your handy parts store. Make sure you decide what size plug first.
I had to take this route because the star head stripped and it became time for the ever handy dandy dremel cut off wheel.
The clutch was tranparent. Many suggest that you replace the master as well on an old vehicle at the same time. Mine tested out OK so I went with it. So far so good. I can almost guarentee you'll need to replace the clutch at the same time unless it's fairly new. You might as well. It's better than doing it all over again.
The toughest part is going to be your shafts. Changing out the tranny also impacts your transfer case. The total length then gets affected and you need new drive shafts.
The AX15 will need a new mount to attach it to the cross member. Not a big deal to drill the new holes. You might have to modify your exhaust sytem hangers too as it routes pass the tranny. That was a 20 minute fix as well.
The entire project is not a simple swap. You might want to get the whole train together first from clutch to transfer case before starting and watch for the drive shaft angles as well or it's vibration city.

Tread lightly and stop to smell the roses - Traveler
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 12:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I thought that the AX-15 and the Peugot were more or less the same outside dimensions, the things that you mentioned as problems would cause major issues for me. I have an SYE and TW driveshaft, my front driveshaft is already modified, and I have dual exhuast. The clutch is fairly new, as is the master clylinder and the slave cylinder. I guess I need to get some overall dimensions from the AX-15 and Puegot.

Kris

I do the same thing every weekend, its just the location where I do it that changes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 12:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a friend that has the puegot in his YJ. His is about completely gone, he has to "trick" the clutch. What other tranny's will bolt up in place? I have no idea. He's talking about getting a new TJ, i told him he would save a lot of money replacing it

'01TJeff

"Roads? Where we're going; we don't need...roads"
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 06:09 PM
sas87yj

advance adapter sells the T-5 tranny that also is in mustangs. comes with bellhouse adapter and 21 spline output spud shaft. it also uses internal slave cyl. all for a mere $2000!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode