jeep won't turn left - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

jeep won\'t turn left

the stats...
an 83 chevy dana 60 front axle cut down 3" on each sideand 9 degrees of caster. I have cross over hi-steering thats about 3" above the springs and 38.8x14 tsl/sx. I have a flaming river steering shaft and an 83 cj-7 steering pump and box with a waggie pitman arm. when my jeep isnt moving, it turns fully to lock to the right with no effort, then it centers but no further. when i'm driving it around, it goes lock to lock with no problems. I am thinking the box? the belts are not slipping on the pump and the linkage is not binding..
this is a new one for me....
I also had these same problems before I cut the axle down and i was running differnt linkage.

~~Elusive~~
1 ton tj-7 thingy
http://www.jeepgod.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 12:53 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: jeep won\'t turn left

Yikes! that had to be a scary one to find out. I have seen this with rack & pinion steering before, but not with "normal" boxes. The Rack was always at fault in those instances 'cause pressure from the power steering pump was leaking past a seal and was applying pressure so you were fighting the pump in one direction only. It would turn fine in the other direction.

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo, IT'S ALIVE!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 03:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

how long have you been running that steering box? has it been happening ever since you put that box on? do you have the p/arm indexed correctly. i'd drop the steering arm from the p/arm and turn the wheel from lock to lock and see how many turns it takes. then go back half and you should be in the centered position. then look at the p/arm and see if it straight front to back of the jeep. i have seen this when installing a camero box on a yj. the camero box was designed to sit at an angle to the frame (like a cj) where the yj box bolts up inline with the frame. when you do this and use the standard indexing splines on the box shaft for the p/arm you'll never get it right. or how about me running a yj p/arm on a cj box...same situation. remeber a while back and you told me about taking a hack saw to the indexing splines on the yj p/arm? well that was the same thing i ran into. i cut splines into the indexing splines so i could position the p/arm however i wanted on the steering box shaft. just some ideas.ba

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
vortec350/4L80E/d300/d60fr/14br/detroits/4.56/38's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 08:37 AM
Can't Get Enough

Chris, it also sounds like your box to me. That is putting a lot of pressure on your steering system. Did you ever make, or get a steering box brace? This may be off, but is your frame flexing?
When you get that new box you might consider rebuilding your old box and tapping it for a hydraulic assist. I can help when you are ready. Good luck, Ricky...seeya...

CJ-7 with LOTS O' CRAP
http://hometown.aol.com/ericselz/myh...e/profile.html,
http://www.aphlac.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

thanks guys..
BA, the pitman arm is centered.. it drives around perfectly on the road.. I can turn around right in the road either direction. Just sitting still (or crawling with the front locked up)it wont turn.
Ricky, The TJ frame mounts the box really solid with sleeves through the frame and I dont think theres any way the TJ frame is flexing.. it's really stout in that area from my home made shackle reversal.
indeed, the ram assist... actually i am hoping it's the box because my steering pi$$ed me off enough where I called rockstomper and ordered chromoly linkage and then i got with west teaxas offroad and got a rebuilt box tapped for ram assist, the fittings, lines and ram for $490. they said they'd try to get it here by friday... I'm leaving for the dixie run on tuesday...cutting it a little close...
ricky.. you going to the dixie run? I know BA is wussing out..again...

~~Elusive~~
1 ton tj-7 thingy
http://www.jeepgod.net
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 12:14 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] If you have ever read up on it, there is QUITE a procedure for steering box adjustment. If I wuz youse, I would look into getting the box adjusted properly. Otherwise they CAN bind and not want to turn in one direction.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

CJDave
A Jeep Skunkworks run by Moonguys[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img], buildin' the ultimate SNOJEEP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode