Wich aftermarket front axle do you recomend? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 11:36 PM
jeepfreak

Wich aftermarket front axle do you recomend?

I am in the process of ordering some 35" goodyear MTR'S for my TJ and am thinking of upgrading the front axle. I was just curious if anyone here has any experience with any of the aftermarket axles. I was thinking a Dynatrac D60 or a Currie high pinion 9" Does anyone have expereince with these or have any recomendations of other manufacuters? I know that a D60 might be overkill for 35"s but I will probably upgrade to 38"s someday. I have the D44 in the rear and will probably stick with it unless it starts giving me problems.

JACOB
81 cj5 WITH SOA/SR/302
2000 TJ with 4" lift
Confuscious said:
"The wise man takes the path of least resistance"
I say:
"Confucious didn't know jack about Jeeps"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 12:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Wich aftermarket front axle do you recomend?

personally, I'd go with the Dana 60.

Give me Jeep or Give me Death!!!

(Will trade functioning organs for CJ-7 or flatfender)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 01:18 AM
Enthusiast

truss the D30. it should hold up fine to 35s. i wouldn't run 38s with rear D44 though.

<>< 1992 YJ http://dennisuello.tripod.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 03:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i agree that the tj d30 will hold up if you run the stock motor and only 35's. if you are choosing though go 60 and do it right the first time.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
vortec350/4L80E/d300/d60fr/14br/detroits/4.56/38's
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 03:52 AM
utahjeepr

Well, as I mentioned to someone else in a similar post earlier, the reverse cut dana 30 from a 94 and up Cherokee bolts right in to the TJ. Someone else mentioned that 951/2 and up use the 297 u-joint, but I'd stuff Warn shafts in it anyway the axles are WAY stronger than stockers. This set is pretty darn tough and it's no where near as pricey as a custom axle. Granted the reverse 30 ain't near as strong as a dana 60 or the Currie Reverse 9/8.8, but it will definitly take more abuse than your standard cut 30. You could also stick Warns in your 30 and look for the XJ reverse cut if you blow a ring gear.

If money were no object, I'd go with a reverse 60 front and a standard 60 full floater rear from Dynatrac.

September 11, 2001- We will not forget! We will not forgive!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 04:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

utahjeeper, the dana30 in the tj is a reverse cut with 297 joints. why swap it with a cherokee dana30?

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
vortec350/4L80E/d300/d60fr/14br/detroits/4.56/38's
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 07:38 AM
sas87yj

ummm this says UTAH is correct on the TJ:

Wrangler Dana 30
The YJ and the TJ don't use locking hubs. The YJ uses a troublesome vacuum actuated axle disconnect system. The TJ uses high quality bearings that have very low resistence so it doesn't use hubs or an axle disconnect system. Wranglers use and smaller rotor than the CJ. The TJ also uses a different pinion from the YJ. The TJ pinion uses a crush sleeve instead of shims. This difference made gear R&P selection for the TJ a bit limited at first.

CJ Normal cut Dana 30
YJ Reverse cut Dana 30

A strength of the YJ Dana 30 is its use of reverse cut ring and pinion. The ring and pinion are stronger when they are reverse cut in front axles. The reverse cut axle also provides better ground clearance and driveline angles.

Unfortunately, the TJ does not use the reverse cut Dana 30. It uses a normal cut Dana 30 similar, but not compatible to, the CJ Dana 30.

The YJ Dana 30 uses an axle disconnect system that is prone to failure. Often the vacuum hoses the activate the disconnect system will fall off or tear. Sometimes the vacuum motor won't have enough power to engage the sleeve when the gear lube in the disconnect housing gets gummed up. Another problem is that since only one axle is ever disconnected, an automatic locker or limited slip differential can cause problems with the axle and with handling. The drivers side axle is always spinning the differential.

. The TJ has done away with with the system completely which is good in that it is not likely to fail, but since there is no way to stop the differential from spinning, an automatic locker or limited slimp can degrade handling on the road.

The YJ and the TJ Dana 30 uses the 5 on 4.5" wheel bolt pattern. The YJ Dana 30 is of course set up for leaf springs and the TJ Dana 30 is set up for coil springs.

Comanche, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee Dana 30
The Comanche (MJ) and Cherokee (XJ) use a reverse cut Dana 30 and the Grand Cherokee (ZJ) uses a normal cut Dana 30. Like the YJ and the TJ, these axles use a 5 on 4.5" wheel bolt pattern. All of these trucks use coil springs up front.

FSJ
The Dana 30 front axle was used for a short time from 1971-1973 in Cherokees (SJ), Wagoneers (SJ), and J-Series pickups.

Other Dana 30 Information
Here are some other articles related to the Dana 30. Dana 30 Disk Brake Conversion: How to convert a drum brake Dana 30 to disk brakes. Some minor Dana 30 differences are documented in this article including differences in spindles, bearings, and brake hubs. This article also explains why the Dana 30 is a good low buck axle upgrade for '45-'71 CJs

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 10:23 PM
jeepfreak

I was under the impression that the dana30 would not hold up very well with 35"s and a locker. Maybe I should stick with it until I go with 38"s then upgrade the axle then. I'm just trying not to buy somthing twice. It sux to buy a lockers and gears for a 30 when you are going to be upgrading to different axles in the future.. Thanks again for the replies and info.

JACOB
81 cj5 WITH SOA/SR/302
2000 TJ with 4" lift
Confuscious said:
"The wise man takes the path of least resistance"
I say:
"Confucious didn't know jack about Jeeps"
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2001, 12:41 AM

Did I read that right? Your thinking of a d60 front and a d44 rear? that would be interesting.

I've always read the reverse cut R&Ps were weaker then standard cut gears(?).

As far as my experiance with front axles, went through 3- 30s (locked with 33's), broke a 44 three times(welded with 37's). Now I run a d60 with 38.5's and have'nt broke it yet.

If you got the bucks, get the 60s front and back, you'll save money in the long run because you'll only need to buy them once. Or you can spend $ to build the 30 and break it, then spend more $ on a 44, and break it and then get the 60's.

Wayne @ Big Island RockCrawlers
"PYRO" The Rock Crawler
Web Site: http://www.members.tripod.com/surfmac/Index.html
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2001, 12:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Get 60's front and rear, they are right... just save up the money and do it right the first time so you dont have to rebuy parts... if you have the patience though.. must of us dont [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode