So. Cal to Colorado & Back - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

So. Cal to Colorado & Back

I'm driving from San Diego to Colorado and back......anyone looking to having something (wheels/tires/axles/engines/tranny/tcase) hauled?

I'll be going through riverside, vegas, st george, provo, salt lake city, then I70 through the mountains into Denver and back. I'll have my Suburban and my military trailer.

JAF may have convinced me with his awesome Silverton shots that it's time to move back to Denver. I'm going to check it out and look for a job/housing.

-raymo
4.6 Stroker Scrambler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 10:09 PM

Re: So. Cal to Colorado & Back

My dad goes through Flagstaff AZ to Colorado from Northridge(northern L.A.). My cousin lives in Flagstaff. Its beautiful.

-Tas
'89 YJ Wrangler, 4.2L, AX-15, 31x10.5" BFG AT KOs, no lift, 40series Flowmaster, Euro-taillights...

http://members.tripod.com/GRK_Taz
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 10:33 PM
utahjeepr

Um, is there any particular reason you are running all the way up to SLC and then back down to I-70? If you are up in SLC the quickest way to Denver is I-80 to I-25. You can also take US 40, it's a little slower but it's a nice, scenic drive as long as you don't drive it in the middle of a HEAVY snow like I did once. (Chevy stepside with 38" tires, Gleasons front and rear, and I still had a hell of a time. Cops in Winterpark, CO gave me two choices, stay in town overnight or go to jail. I slept in the cab and waited for the plows, mighta been more comfortable in jail.)

September 11, 2001- We will not forget! We will not forgive!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 10:43 PM

Well, with things going the way they are, at least if you leave CA and move to mile high country you might not sink in with the rest of 'em ... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Utahjeeper-My grandfather lives in SLC and I will already be going to Provo (my alma mater is BYU).

JAF, is the sinking literal or figurative? Sometimes, while running on the boardwalk, I think some of these people couldn't sink any further.....

-raymo
4.6 Stroker Scrambler
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 01:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ray,

I was going to ask you if I could come along so I could see my family back in Colorado, but then I recalled the picture that I still have in my head of you, your wife, five kids and the dog packed in the Suburban on the way to the Rubicon. I don't think I could survive 18-20 hours of that, I'll pass. You're the man. Have a safe trip.

Andy

"Too much is never enough and enough is already out of my budget."
85'CJ7- 258, T176, Dana 300, 4" SuperLift, Rancho 9000's, 33" MT/R's, Stock axels/gears-next on the list.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

I'm not sure that I'll survive either....

-raymo
4.6 Stroker Scrambler
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 09:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

raymo,
utahjeeper wasn't asking why you're going to SLC. He was wondering why you would drop back down to I70 to get to Denver. Once you're ready to leave SLC take I80 through Wyoming as far as Laramie. Then take US287 to I25 and drop down to Denver. It's much faster than going to I70 and then heading east.

'75 CJ5 with goodies
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2001, 01:30 AM
utahjeepr

Exactly, and if you are heading out of Provo to Denver you can still head up Provo Canyon to Heber and out to I-80. U.S. 6 is a fine route from Spanish fork to I-70 (actually I think it is rated as the second or third deadliest stretch of road in the U.S. Don't know why, it's a perfectly good road. Driven it myself plenty of times) but heading to Denver that way is just slower that's all. I-70 from Grand Junction to the summit is pretty cool though, had to have been absolute hell to build.

September 11, 2001- We will not forget! We will not forgive!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2001, 09:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think its obvious. I-80 is a dull drive, sure its faster, but you miss all of Colorado. Denver sucks, its the mountains that make the drive worthwhile. Just make sure you dont come in on a Sunday, mountain traffic back to Denver is a killer. have a good trip.

cjcrawler
"The Beast"

http://ucsub.colorado.edu/~simmonst/Jeep.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode