Weber Owners!!! Check in here.... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Weber Owners!!! Check in here....

Who has a Weber 32/36 that starts easy and runs perfect?

Mine runs great after warm-up. But when the engine is cold it runs rough below 1500rpm. Since I don't drive my CJ everyday, when I start the engine it takes forever to get the engine cranked. I am worried that my starter is going to burn out. I have to continuously crank-it for at least 15 seconds and the usually for another 15. I am using a fuel pressure regulator set at 2.5 and I have a fairly new mechanical fuel pump. Is anyone running a Weber off an electric fuel pump? Would this help the startup? Overall I am happy with the performance of the Weber, I would just like to get it a little better.

Thanks,

http://home.off-road.com/~tom85cj7/home.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 10:33 PM
Enthusiast

Re: Weber Owners!!! Check in here....

I had a Weber on my '87 YJ 258 for about a month. I bought it used and for some reason it took a really long time to get it started too. When I had the Carter on, the engine would just start right up. I also had the FPR. Turned out that it needed a rebuild and could not be tuned properly before it got one. I don't know if that's what casued the hard starts but the carb guy said that's what caused my bogging. Hope this helps.

Donny

1987 YJ 258 I6, 5 Speed, TFI Upgrade, MSD 6A, TFX Exhaust, Smitty Sure Steps, Howell Fuel Injection1999 Cherokee Sport, Stock
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 11:16 PM
Addict

On every carb'd vehicle I've ever owned, if it sat more than a couple of days, it would take a couple of cranks to start up. Just a little bit of gas would vaporize and evaporate out of the fuel bowls and causing the floats to drop. After the cranking, the fuel bowls would fill and it would fire right up.

I just finished off my Weber install this weekend. It took about 5 cranks (about 5 seconds long each) before the engine fired. Once it was running, it ran pretty darn well considering the gas was over a year old in the tank and the engine hadn't fired in over 2 months. A buddy of mine had a Weber and his acted the same as mine. Something else may be amiss with your setup. Double check you timing and the rest of your ignition setup. Perhaps it isn't a fuel related problem. Just my $.02

"Don't tread on me."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 04:53 AM

I put a weber on my 258 and it ran great. If it sat a while it wouldnt start right up. It also idle great even with a worn out motor.

85 cj7 4inches, 33's, working on an engine swap...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 05:18 AM

I have the 36/32 on my 258. I get the same response as the rest.. If it has set more than 6 hours or so, it takes a few seconds of cranking to start. Once it does it will run like a champ.
In any position. (I dunno about upside-down yet) hehe

76 CJ7, 258,Jeep T18, D20 TC, D30 & AMC20.
4" Superlift, 33" SSR's
Will trade extra kidney for Jeep parts!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 06:35 AM

While we are on the topic of webers, could anyone tell me what weber i have. All i know is its 4bbl and it has an edlebrock sticker on it, but weber is stamped into the side on the metal. THanks
Andrew

Im good at being a Lil8itch, so im sticking to it!
C/O BBS Chat Room
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 07:59 AM
Addict

Hey rice, that's actually a new QuadraJet you have there. It's manufactured by Weber for Edelbrock. QuadraJets were originally produced by Rochester and used in most GM four barrel applications. A little harder to tune than a Holley or a Carter/Edelbrock AFB, but once they're set right, a Q-Jet is awesome. The small primaries are great for fuel mileage, part throttle operation and cruising. The massive secondaries are just a real kick in the pants when they open up.

"Don't tread on me."
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Is anyone using an electric fule pump with a Weber?? I would think that it would eliminate the hard starts.

Tom

http://home.off-road.com/~tom85cj7/home.htm
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 09:47 AM

I run the 38mm, and other than running a little rich (have it leaned ALL the way out) it starts and runs just fine. No complaints from me.

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 11:35 AM

Mine runs perfect. It starts hard when sitting for a while. I've had mine since the pre TFI upgrade and Motorcraft swap days. I am running the 32/26 and an HEI setup. I have to pump the gas a few times, and then the starter a couple of times and then everything runs great. I changed the main idle jet and got rid of the 'bog' that was occuring when stepping hard on the throttle. I run a FPR at 2 to 2.5 on road. Sometimes lower than 2.5 when Off Road.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode