Axle Dilemma solved - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 08:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Axle Dilemma solved

I just found out, that the D44 used in XJs is the same width as the D35 used in the TJ!! I called around and found that Mepco sells a front and rear mounting bracket ket for $260. I guess I'm going to Pull-Apart tomorrow to get an axle for under 50. Alot cheaper than 2-3k. Has anyone out there done this? Who knows whether a 44 front from a Scout or a Grand Wagoneer would fit the TJ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 08:59 PM

Re: Axle Dilemma solved

if you can get them for $50, but all you can find [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
the 44's in the XJ's are pretty rare.

<font color=red>3/4tonYJ</font color=red>

http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton
"Sept 11th 2001" will not be forgotten
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 09:06 PM
utahjeepr

I know the reverse cut D-30 from the 94-up XJ bolts right in to the TJ. With Warn axles the reverse cut 30 is pretty tough. I've heard the ring gear is roughly 30 percent stronger when running in the proper direction (reverse cut for front axles).

September 11, 2001- We will not forget! We will not forgive!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 10:52 PM

They are pretty hard to find. I don't think there's a front axle that will fit besides the metioned xj front, and if you didn't want to deal w/ the disconect you would have to get one from an xj w/ a full time case and 95.5 or later to get 297x u-joints but you would have issues not having manual hubs. If you want to get a d44 housing you could probably put d30 hubs and breaks on it. I know a lot of xj guys swap in f-150 or f-25o front axles from the late 70's though they have a differnt bolt pattern 5x5.5 vs. the tj, xj, yj, zj 5x4.5. I would suggest if you wanted to do both axles at once getting a frod front d44, i believe they are reverse cut or high pinon (can rember which) and either a scout d44 rear (has the 5x5.5 bolt pattern waggys have a 6 bolt pattern) or ford 9" rear axle (make sure it's 31 spline) and then get new wheels to deal w/ the bolt pattern, they your jeep will be really durable. If you want to get more info on the front swap I'd check out the modifications tech at naxja.org xj and tj fronts are pretty similar and i don't think there's any one here that's swaped front axles on a tj. Also for a rear axle swap check out 3/4 ton yj's site, they swaped an 8.8 from an exploder into a tj, that might be the best swap. I hope this has made some sense. I'd do it right the 1st time.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a minny van

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 01:11 AM
Enthusiast

good luck finding an XJ D44. they were only available in 87-89 (i think) with towing package. very rare to just go out and find one.

&lt;&gt;&lt; 1992 YJ http://dennisuello.tripod.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode