What will happen next? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

What will happen next?

I know bad luck happens in threes, So I am a little concerned. First, my truck decided it didn't like all the teeth on the front ring gear. So it is out of commission while I await new parts and Send Back all the WRONG parts that are shipped!

Now On sunday, my wife and I took the jeep for a fishing trip, and I don't know if I just really blew the clutch or the tranny is toast. On the trip out, started getting a whine from the drivetrain, severe whine under compression. Got out to the highway and stopped to air up. When I completed the job, I backed up and the tranny seemed to spin while I shifted to forward. but everything worked and I figured get it home and check it out. Well, I didn't make it home. Went to downshift to switch highways, and wouldn't go into third. coasted to a stop, as it would not go into anything. Played with it and discovered; with engine off, jeep would roll backwards with jeep in gear, clutch out. Jeep would hold if clutch pedal depressed. I also discovered if I try to put it in gear while jeep is running, jeep trys to move. I believe I have toasted a clutch.

The thing that has me confused, This is a new clutch, less than 6k miles, with a lot of those being towed. I have never ever toasted a clutch before, I have driven lots of standards well over 140k miles. Never have had a clutch problem. I believe my driving skills are not a problem, however, I would like ideas as to what other causes for early clutch failure other than defective equipment.

Any feedback?

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 03:06 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: What will happen next?

check your clutch adjustment and make sure its adjusted correctly. You may get lucky and find that it just needs some adjustment.

kerryp

http://bastroptx4x4.alloffroad.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 03:16 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] If I had to venture a guess, I would say that the bell housing has partially disengaged from the engine block. Maybe a fastener broke and the rest were too wallowed out to hold. Check the bellhousing fit against the block. Our CJ was SO BAD when we got it that I had to make special studs to screw into the engine block and slide the bellhousing of that TH400 over them.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] That would also screw your tranny input bearing....hence the whine backing off.....and the complete clutch. Let us know what you find.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
A Jeep Skunkworks run by Moonguys[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img], buildin' the ultimate SNOJEEP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

I will Keep you posted. However, I need to wait until I can get someone to go drag it home for me. It currently sitting at my father-in-laws ranch on the other side of the mtns. So it may be awhile.

thanks, I will look into the loose bolts. Although I seriously don't think that is the problem.

I put the engine, tranny, and T-case in as a unit when I did my build up. I thought I took care to do everything right and correct anything that wasn't.

I have been known to screw up even simpler things however.

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 04:39 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] In our recent rebuild of a FS GM 4X4 we found the TRANNY TO BELLHOUSING bolts completely washed out because Cletus and Leroy didn't get them in good and tight when they did the Saturday afternoon mill swappin' bee. I made up some extra long studs, Std X NF......screwed them into the bellhousing with Lock-Tite on the threads, and then slid that SM465 over the studs and held that sucker with double NF hex nuts on each stud. That's the trouble with aluminum castings for bellhousings.....without studs it's a MICKEY MOUSE arrangement. Maybe I've spent too much time around those greasy diesels, but to me, studs are the cure for OH SO MANY problems, NOT THE LEAST OF WHICH is exhaust manifold bolt trouble. We have studs all the way on our 304 exhausts, with an oversize nut AND a std brass nut on each one.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
A Jeep Skunkworks run by Moonguys[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img], buildin' the ultimate SNOJEEP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode