Pulsating Brakes?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 11:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Pulsating Brakes??

I have my Waggy Axle converstion up and running. Like a fool I was in a hurry and didnt have the front rotors turned or replaced, now when I step on the brakes I get a pulsating feeling coming back though the pedal. I am assuming that this means the rotors are warped. Is there anything else that could cause this, like brakes that are not fully bleed? I would rather not have to tear the entire front end apart again to replace the rotors like I think I will have to, but if that is what it is going to take then I guess that it is time to get dirty again. Also I called advanced auto and they have I listing for a rotor for the waggy axle, I didnt think you could replace the rotor only and a price of 22.99 for the whole assembly seems really cheap. Can anyone shed some light on this for me.

Kris

I do the same thing every weekend, its just the location where I do it that changes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 11:36 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: Pulsating Brakes??

I bet your rotors need to be turned. I think it costs around $10 per rotor. $23 sounds too cheap for new rotors, but if you can get them for that, go for it.

I'm on here so much, I have carpal tunnel reader syndrone.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 06:01 PM

Yes you have warped rotors, there is little else that will cause this weird pulsing brake pedal. You can also just replace the rotor on the hub. The $23.00 rotor sounds about right. You will need to either push the studs from the rotor hub assembly. or pull a spring clip from a couple of the studs to release the rotor from the hub.
The type that you push the studs out will need to be repressed when you put the rotor back on. to do this:

1. Place the rotor on the hub , line up the holes.
2. Insert a stud through the holes, placing a little white grease on the
rotor around the stud hole.
3. Take a standard lug nut turning it flat side to rotor tighten it down
after getting them all in place. This should seat the rotor with the hub.

This should all be able to be done with out taking the hub off the axle.\
You may want to replace the studs at this point. Be sure a nd take an old on with you to get the right size, if you are careful you will not need to replace them.
GP'n

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 07:18 PM

sounds like warped rotors to me also, besides the normal warping from heat, i've seen them warped from going crazy with an airgun install lug nuts. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

so, are you going to paragon this weekend for the sunday WTC relief ride?

<font color=red>3/4tonYJ</font color=red>

http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton
"Sept 11th 2001" will not be forgotten
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 08:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The price of the rotors would be accurate and GP'n 's advice on removal would be as well. However bad brake lines(rubber ones) will pulsate(swell & contract) during breaking if the lining is going bad. Although I lean toward the rotors also.

JpShp
http://www.jeep-shop.com

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 12:42 AM

Sounds like warped rotors to me. The $22.99 for new ones is probably about right.

-Derek Schwab
'97 Sidekick Sport
'83 CJ-7
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 08:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks guys for all your advice. I know that it is not the brake lines as someone mentioned becuase they are new braided lines. I am glad to hear that I do not have to pull the hub off of the axles to replace the rotors, they are not in the greatest of shape so I will replace both of them.

3/4 Ton, I thought that the relief ride was next weekend, if it is I am going to try to make it, if it is this weekend there is no way I will make it, I have too much other stuff to do this week to get everything finished. I'll let you know.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Kris

I do the same thing every weekend, its just the location where I do it that changes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode