Exhaust options for a 360 in a CJ-7 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Exhaust options for a 360 in a CJ-7

I've been going over the information to complete a 360 swap into a 84 CJ-7. I have a question on the setting up the exhaust system. The current manifolds are from a 80 wagoneer. They are both rear dump. Based on the '360 swap guide', the drivers side should be swapped out for one that dumps between the 3rd & 4th cylinders on the driver side. This it is to get the exit past the motor mount and away from the clutch linkage & firewall?
The suggestion is to get a 304 CJ exhaust manifold, would that be both or just the drivers side? I would like to run something as close to the factory 304 exhaust as possible, which means a y pipe and a crossover, to keep the exhaust up and out of the way. I run a Ford T-18/Dana 300 combo, so I think the stock exhuast routing is possible.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 09:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Exhaust options for a 360 in a CJ-7

I had the stock '79 360 manifolds on mine with a T-150 dana 20 and had no clearance issues in the area you mentioned. My exhaust did have to hang down a little below the frame rail but not completely unprotected. I did not run a Y or H pipe.

Kilo-1-6
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 01:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Are there any factory/or aftermarket headers available that might fit your conversion?
Sorry I don't have anything to add to your question, but I'm hoping that you can perhaps
help me with mine. Can you send my some information on CJ Dave's 360 swap guide?
I'm looking for any info that would help me put a 5.2 or 5.9 Liter Engine in my 90 YJ.
I like the idea of being able to bolt up my existing NV4500 to the engine without an adapter.
If you know of any links to write ups, that would be awesome.
Thanx in advance.
-Gus-

Enjoying life in San Diego, Cal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

I was hoping to avoid headers, especially fenderwheel headers. I believe there are some available that fit between the frame rails. I am still looking into that option.

This is the latest revision of the '360 swap Guide'

http://bbs.off-road.com/wwwthreads//...hort&Words=360 swap guide&Match=And&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

77 cj-7:
You had rear dump manifolds, running a dual outlet exhaust?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 03:30 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] The hot rodders who previously owned our 304 CJ7 had installed 401 manifolds on it and both are rear dump using a wye pipe that was shop fabricated. Of course we have no linkage at all on the driver's side with that TH400 and a floor shift conversion.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Hmmmm......I don't remember making up a 360 swap writeup. It musta been someone else.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

CJDave
A Jeep Skunkworks run by Moonguys[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img], buildin' the ultimate SNOJEEP!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 03:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm running Heddman headers between the frame rails. And when I say between, I mean touching the inside wall of the frame rails and nearly touchin the motor mounts and transfer case. They're really tight, which I'm not too happy about.

Not to mention, getting them in was an acrobatic display of cat-like grace, as I perched with a foot on each fender standing over the engine compartment, both hands holding up the hood and stomping on the b!tch to cram it down (even after removing the steering shaft).

Who needs a road...if there's a perfectly good JEEP trail somewhere else!?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 06:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The rear dump manifolds seem to work fine although the clearance to the firewall is tight. The exhaust problem can be resolved by a competent muffler man. The clutch linkage shouldn't be an issue. Keep in mind though anything is possible. If you go with in-frame headers the Headmans seem to be the best for the $$$.

JpShp
http://www.jeep-shop.com

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 07:04 PM

Sorry, I don't have any input about this application, but I did read the 360 swap guide article, and I do have a question. The article says if you use the tf999 tranny, you have to use framerail headers, which is fine with me, I just am trying to get everything I need ready because I will be doing this swap in the next month or so. thanks!!

86 CJ7 258, weber carb, rusty but trusty!!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

CJ Dave,
Sorry about my confusuion on who to credit for the 360 Swap guide writeup. I got confused by the moonguy crew involved in the writeup. A lot of people on the BBS contributed to it. Jeeper2 posted the first one that I found and made a copy of.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode