Off Roading Forums banner

tire carrier question.. On top of cage?

646 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
hey all,

I have a 84cj7, Full cage, etc. I also have a rack obove the rear wheel wells.I am planning a trip to paragon and I want to carry a full size spare. I currently don't carry any spare. However since I have the rack in the back I will need to make sure the tire is up out of the way. I am considering on mounting a spare tire above my rack. Has anybody got any pictures of anything like this? I mostly run without a top but would want to remove the tire if I put the hard top on.

I was considering somehow mounting a 2" receiver on my cage(pointing up) and making a bracket that the tire bolts to that slides down-in the receiver. Any suggestions? Thanks.

84CJ7 SOA,35's,OnboardAir,Dual winches,Full Cage,Snorkels, and more
OverMost 4WD Club
JerseyWheelers Club

G
#2 ·
sounds like it will work! long as it clears the garage if you park in one. don't carry a spare now? dude you are daring! i mount a 32" on my stock carrier on tailgate. do you have one of these? i've seen many a 33" on same. ok i see you have 35's. i would try your idea as opposed to shelling out a lot for a rear bumper swing carrier.

#3 ·
haha, you were mentioning somethign about taking it on and off for a top, well, i would just like to comment, moving around a 35" is not fun, so if you were planning on taking it on and off the top, i would say do it somewhere else unless you have to put it on the top.
Andrew

Im good at being a Lil8itch, so im sticking to it!
C/O BBS Chat Room

G
#5 ·
Depends on how off camber you like to get. I know I have had a few "close calls" where an extra 80-90 lbs up on top would have sent me over.

September 11, 2001- We will not forget! We will not forgive!

G
#6 ·
Thanks Jim,

I appreciate that! :) Guys, I realize the tire is going to be extremely heavy. Once its up there, I don't plan on taking it off but during the winter time when I put the hard top on. I don't need to carry a spare on our local trails. Other jeeps in our club have spares that I can borrow if I need to get out of the woods.

I'd also like to mention that I really want to get a 34'x9.50 swamper for a spare. ButI am waiting to find one used. Right now I am getting a 35x15 thornbird for $25... This will work fine for my paragon trip.

OverMost 4WD Club
JerseyWheelers Club

#7 ·
I don't think I would ever feel comfortable without a spare on my Jeep.../wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif, I'm planning on fabricating a swing down tire carrier for my Scrambler that will mount to the top under side of my full roll cage (once its built) on the inside. I intend to use a 33X9.50 tire to keep the size and weight to a minimum. Basically the carrier will be attached to the under side of the roll cage (so I will still be able to use my hard top or soft top), and will swing down to the tail gate when I need it. I don't know if this is going to work or not since I haven't had the time to measure yet, but it shouldn't be too much of an issue on a Scrambler..They do have the receiver mount tire carriers you can buy, or better yet fabricate if you have a receiver hitch on your bumper, maybe you caould make one that would clear your rack equipment, and that would at least keep the weight down lower....

http://bastroptx4x4.alloffroad.com

G
#8 ·
My CJ7 has a 8274 Warn winch mounted in the rear of the jeep. The fairlead is sticking out of a large hole in the rear tailgate, So I need to keep my spare off the back of the jeep cause I need to use the winch.

If I didn't have the winch, or the rack I would figure out a way to mount it lower in the jeep.

So now I have to mount the tire above the cage somehow. I have a drawing but its to large to post here. I mount a 2" receiver pointing up behind the main hoop about 6"s or so.I would use 2x2 square tubing welded to the main hoop, to the receiver, Than I would run another piece of 2x2 square tubing from the bottom of the receiver down the the bar that is behind the seats. I will try to attach a pic of a drawing.

OverMost 4WD Club
JerseyWheelers Club

#9 ·
If I can get the tire on the ground I can roll the tire... then all I have to do is avoid the lift.... so I've been thinking /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif again.. alot about this subject. My tire carrier is still on the drawing board... When I was resurecting the Kid's Caravan I had to replace the spare tire lifter. The spare mounts under the rear of the vehicle and is lowered by using the jack handle and cranking up or down on crank that winds a steel cable up, or down. I'm sure you've all seen them. This little crank is about 4" round and would ealisy fit into the upright of the carrier. With a removable handle or a 1/2" ratched (or OBA powered impact gun) that little piece of machinery will lower and raise a 38" swamper with ease. I picked the last unit up at the Junkyard for $15.

I'll be back there today crawling around under Vans to see if I can find a beefier crank system as a donor... but that's the plans!

Easy as pie.

G
#10 ·
Hey Leve:

Check out the "tire lifter" off of a Ford Superduty pickup they are quite beefy but about twice the size of the Caravan one you discribed. Rick

'98 TJ Sport-becoming more modified all the time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.