Idea for money to fuel our addiction?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 02:02 AM Thread Starter

Idea for money to fuel our addiction??

What if, we combined our vast bottomless pit of Jeep knowledge into a website specifically geared towards jeep offroading??
Like a online magazine.
Sure we can all pick up a Petersons, but thats just offroading in general. No-one makes a Jeep only mag.
It wouldn't need to be bogged down with ad's either.
Each month we could have an issue, some land rights stuff, some reviews, some "on the cheap" ideas. Tips hints and other stuff. toss in some editorials. nice shiny pictures, readers rides, could have a couple of project Jeeps, every month people get a glimpse at whats going on, where the project is (almost like a soap opera.) pretty much what we talk about on this BBS.

i guess I'm just tossing the ball onto the court. gona see where it ends up.

Perhaps if it's good enough maybe in the future it can go to print. Pick it up at your local drugstore.

Just figured the endless expance of knowledge on here should go somewhere, from frame up re-builds, to how to remove those pesky torx bolts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 02:09 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Idea for money to fuel our addiction??

Isn't JP a Jeeps only mag?

"Every form of refuge has it's price."
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 02:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Logistics BAD! Someone without any other kind of job would have to be working on it all the time... so much stuff to do!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 02:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree it would be sweet, but where does funding come from? without advertisements, all i can think of is a rich dude. lol Don't they make an all-jeep mag? if they do, whats the name, i would subscribe

'01TJeff

"Roads? Where we're going; we don't need...roads"
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 02:16 AM
Way Outta Control

Humm.... Jeep + Knowledge = $

I Like it!

I'll be the full time guy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]... $70,000 per year, Company CJ, 401K, Medical and Retirement...I'll work cheap.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 02:22 AM

When JP first came out, I thought it was awesome, it covered Jeep Jamborees, had guest editors,seemed to be more into scenery/photography, one story in particular a few years back was a teen age girl with her views of being a passenger in a Jeep at a Jamboree. I could relate since my daughter was 15 and getting her temps at the time and I was teaching her to drive my ole '77 "Cruiser". Now that Petersons owns Four Wheeler, JP, plus 4 wheel and off-road, they all seem the same, cover the same events, etc. I went from three subscriptions per month to zero. I get more out of this, plus a few other websites than any magazine. Maybe we do need some fresh blood out there..

"It's not ugly! It just has a lot of "Character"!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 02:26 AM

Leve, what are you doing up this late? Your a wisconsin res.. it's 1:25am on my clock. I'm working night shift this week..uh..well.. working on my typing skills, getting Jeep ideas anyway.

"It's not ugly! It just has a lot of "Character"!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 02:30 AM
Way Outta Control

Lilrick, I have the perfect job... I "work" week-ends, three 12 hour shifts and I'm off Monday through Thrusday...

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 02:32 AM Thread Starter

I figure a few people from this board could upkeep it.

It would definately cut into your board time, but it would serve the same function.

People on here could provide articles. Most people are willing to do it for free/satisfaction.
As for funding, being a website, most the stuff is donated. (eg webspace etc.) It's really easy to find free webspace, and maybe some rich guy buys the $70 domain just to be nice, or for a mention/link.
There are no printing costs, no staff costs, no distribution.
Heck, as long as it stays free, we don't even need to be registerd as a company.

All it requires is a few peoples dedication, and a few more peoples assistance.

Sure this is pretty much what off-road.com/jeep is, but has anyone noticed their articles are scarse, simialar to eachother, and rather bland. (no offence anyone)

It would be interesting to build it up offline then release it once a month. It wouldn't require people to check it out every single day, and if it's going good and we have lots of info it could become bi-monthly.

The only problem I can forsee is that eventually, if it becomes liked, there would be an initial investment needed to get copies on the stands, but from then on there are advertising, and magazine sales to fund whatever needs funding. (Advertising in moderation, not every freaken page 3/4 of the page, and every 3 pages a full double page ad.)

we could even have a "Fix that [email protected] problem!" column. (Carter BBD fix should be right at the top of that one.)

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 02:38 AM
Way Outta Control

Does this mean I can kiss the $70,000 a year job good-bye?

What will I tell the wife? How do I tell the kids they'll have to put themselves though college. I guess it's back to gettin' dirty, kicking back, crankin' wrenches and dreamin'....of the day my Jeep comes in.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode