Is this a sign? CJ-3A question. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Is this a sign? CJ-3A question.

Some of you may recall that about a year ago I looked at a 1950 CJ-3A. The body was the most rust free I could have ever dreamed about, living in the rust belt like I do. Sure it needed some mechanical work, but nothing I can't handle. Well to make a long story short, it sold for the asking price of a grand(I passed up a running, driving, rust free 3A for a grand? I must be dumb). The reason I didn't jump on it right away was it needed brake work and I wasn't about to drive it 50 miles home on state highways without brakes. And I don't own a trailer or towbar. But, maricle or maricles I found the very same 1950 CJ-3A at a shady used car dealership not 3 miles from my house. I have no idea what they are asking for it but I'm gonna go there today and find out. Am I crazy? If it's much more than the original price I can't afford it(not that I can anyway). But I've been kicking myself in the ass every day since the day it slipped through my fingers the first time. Is this some kind of sign from the Jeep gods? Is it meant to be mine? I need to go to a JA(Jeepaholics Anonamous) meeting and get some help for this problem.

"Every form of refuge has it's price."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 03:37 AM
utahjeepr

Re: Is this a sign? CJ-3A question.

Man, you don't want a flattie. They are just way too much trouble.

By the way, where exactly was that lot?

September 11, 2001- We will not forget! We will not forgive!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Well here is the update. I roll in to the dealership today and ask what the price is. After prying a number out of the owner/salesman he answers that anything under two grand(not that I could really afford it if it was still a grand) is waisting his time. Never mind the fact I couldn't get it to start and it still has no brakes. Plus it's now rusted through on the front 2 floor reinforcements on both sides and has a small dent. I guess this one ain't meant for me after all. But anyone thats intrested I'll give all the info I have on it's condition when I looked at it the first time(I even have a picture). I'd like to see the one that got away get a good home.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 03:47 PM
I Do This For The Glory

NEVER go back there.

Also let him know if it's wasting his time, it can sit there as you know ho much he paid for it and the condition is was in. Tell him if he wants to unload it for a grand to give you a shout. I hate people like that.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Jeepin, I completely agree. I knew thats what I was in for before I ever went. But I still had to know. And your right, if it sits there for a few months he might be glad to take a grand for it just to get it off the lot. I really would like to know what he paid for it though. I know the guy that sold it to him paid 1K but I wonder if the guy traded up or just sold it to the dealership. I can't wait till they blow it up trying to jump start it with a 12V charger cuz it's never been converted from 6V.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 07:17 PM

I really hate to bust your bubble but , 2 grand for a cj3 is not really that bad. Yes it more than you could of and it has some damage but its a 50 model. Garbage here sells for 3500. i know you could pick up a newer model cheaper but its a 50 cj3a.

<font color=red> brownbagg </font color=red>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Yeah I know. I know it's worth what he's asking I just can't afford it. Shoulda bought it the first time around for a grand. But you know how it goes. Hind sight is always 20-20.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode