Why do we keep the junk we do? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2001, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Why do we keep the junk we do?

This weekend was clean the garage weekend. It started out as straightening up the shelves, and lead to "why did I keep this?" about a hundred times. There are still things that I kept after the purge, but I had stuff like this: A grinder that the smoke came out of about a year ago (I tried--it still doesn't work), old axle u-bolts, a dented steering stabilizer, a steering wheel, about 10 pounds of old rusted bolts and nails, a cracked carb base plate. You get the picture. It took all afternoon on Saturday, and the garage doesn't look any better! I know that there was a reason for keeping all that crap, but I just can't remember what it was. Some of it is an obvious byproduct of Jeep ownership, but why do we do it? What was I possibly thinking when I kept that old rubber tranny mount?

Ken

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 01:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Why do we keep the junk we do?

old axle U-Bolts (1/2"x20 thread) work great as emergency wheel studs! ....don't ask how i know!!...

Give me Jeep or Give me Death!!!

(Will trade functioning organs for CJ-7 or flatfender)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 01:42 AM
utahjeepr

Don't worry, you'll remember what you had in mind for all that stuff. About 5 min after the garbage truck picks it up. My wife gives me a really hard time about all the "junk" I have pack ratted away in the garage. Every once in a while though, I suprise her my making a new whatzit out of that old broken thingama-bob and a modified what-the-hell-was-that-anyway.

September 11, 2001- We will not forget! We will not forgive!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 01:56 AM
Old Hand

its not junk its good stuff, the day you get rid of it is the day before you need it. It doesnt matter what it is it just works that way.(in my case anyway)

Mike

I make Half doors, for pics click here http://communities.msn.com/Grimjeepe...halfdoors.msnw
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 02:07 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Jeepchick has a real aversion to "crud", and I get endlessly petitioned to dump this or that to make the garage just a bare cavity with a vehicle sitting in it. I, on the other hand believe that you have to have a certain amount of crud just to operate, since it is the raw material from which GOOD stuff can be made. I draw the line at keeping old spark plugs, and old fan belts that are cracked, and I usually strip all the good fasteners and cords off defunct power tools before I toss them. If it is a power drill, I take off the chuck before it goes in the trash can.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I use a file box system for storage and the boxes are numbered so AT LEAST I can find the crud that I am looking for and the garage has a halfway neat appearance. Box # 131.....carbs; box # 127.....grinder parts. etc. etc.

CJDave
A Jeep Skunkworks run by Moonguys[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img], buildin' the ultimate SNOJEEP!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 06:29 AM
I Do This For The Glory

I'm the same way, only I have a MASSIVE barn to store it all in, and it's MINE, ALL MINE.

I like building things, like the brush guard from electric stove cooking grates, the Hi-Lift mount from stopsign channel, tow lights and mount from odds and ends (spent $4 on the cable ends), you get the idea. I just love fabricating items, and if I can do it at little to no cost, it makes me feel good, and I can usually build it stronger than the production counterpart.

BTW, those old axle U-bolts also make great steps, just take some pipe of a larger diameter, weld them to the bottom of the door opening (at the rocker panel), bend the U-bolt with a torch, and slide them in place when the wife needs to get in the jeep. Then you just reach down, remove them, and throw them in the jeep for wheeling.

As to the grinder, I have found little parts and pieces to refurbish another one, like a switch or center shaft, so I keep them around, but don't stock up on them.

BTW DAve, those old fan belts and spark plugs are good for, uh, um, nothing, I throw them out as well. After all, we don't want to have junk laying around with all the good spare parts.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 07:06 AM
Keyboard Implanted

yep same here.. its amazing all the crap i have in my little storage shed.. thank god for work.. where they drink coffee like water.. so i get all the old large cans.. and throw my small crap into.. and label.. i now have almost a whole coffee can of wheel studs.. where the hell did i get all these wheel studs???? then i have my nuts and bolts sorted by size and thread..
i get all of this from my families dna.. nobody in my family throws anything away... not even the women folk.. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

http://www.jeepgod.net

<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 09:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've only got a small garage that barely fits two cars. We've already got to "weave around" the lawn mower to park, and it's just a push mower! Nonetheless, stuffed in all the nooks and crannies are things like a Jeep 4cyl radiator with a pin-hole leak, misc. scraps of metal for bracketry, assortment of unmatching nuts and bolts, washers and rings, front driveshaft that's too short, etc. etc. and that's just the Jeep stuff!

Who needs a road...if there's a perfectly good JEEP trail somewhere else!?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 09:50 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Hah! I don't even have a garage. My poor wife has to deal with that stuff in the Living Room and Bedroom!

Fritz

Jeep...need I say more?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 10:43 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Hi Ken

My name is Jeff and I`m a part-a-holic I`m the same way but I don`t dare toss anything out , I know for a fact as soon as I do , I will need a piece of that old u-bolt for making a latch for my spare tire carrier or something . It never fails Ken , you will always need something off of what you tossed away last week .Buy a metal shed and toss it all in there [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Jeff

<font color=black>O|||O [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] </font color=black>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode