Which Chevy 305 header in a 86 CJ7 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2001, 08:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Which Chevy 305 header in a 86 CJ7

Well my exhaust manifold is finally toast and I figure i might as well get headers now seeing as it will need all new exaust anyway. SO is there any ones i should look at. Requirements are only that they are whithin the frame rails just like normal manifolds. Thank You
MAtt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2001, 11:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Which Chevy 305 header in a 86 CJ7

I ran Hooker block hugger type headers in my CJ/350 to get my dual exhaust ran up inside the frame rails. You could get more torque out of longer chasis type headers, but getting them to fit inside the frame rails could be a challenge. I know Headman makes some chassis headers for this aplication, but, I am not sure where the collector exit is, or where the pipes will fit.

Thorley makes some nice looking Tri-Y headers in a typical block hugger configuration with a center exit facing straight down next to the motormounts, as well as some that are a little longer that make a 90 degree bend before exitting towards the rear of the block. I am considerring changing to these to gain a little torque. Kinda pricey though.

Best value for the money in my oppinion is the Hooker block hugger. Heavey gauge, nice thick flanges honest 1-5/8" tubes. And they are an easy fit. Closest thing to exauhst manifods.

Hope this helps.

'85 Scrambler under construction
5.7L Vortec, NV4500, and god knows what.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 12:13 AM

Re: Which Chevy 305 header in a 86 CJ7

Why do you want headers???? They will rise the engine compartment temp, which will cause the motor to run hotter and melt plug wires. They come lose all the time, blow gaskets and reduce low end torque(unless you use a small tube dia. tri Y).
Find a set of early '60's corvette manifolds(rams horn), there 2 1/2" dia., cast steel, and flowed good enough for 300hp on a 327ci !!!. These are center drop like block huggers so you can do a cross over, under the shallow part of the oil pan for a 2 1/2", two into one pipe. This setup is the best you can do for low end torque.

Wayne @ Big Island RockCrawlers
"PYRO" The Rock Crawler
Web Site: http://www.members.tripod.com/surfmac/Index.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-548522-pipes.jpg (58.4 KB, 1 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode