Replacing Tub on YJ....! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2001, 01:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Replacing Tub on YJ....!

Several Months back i rolled my YJ........And slowly getting around to getting it back to the Jeep it once was.........So i'm thinking of replacing the tub(due to damage) or repair the original tub. Just wondering how big of a job is it to exchange tubs. I leaning towards the new tub........Just want some of your input for those who have ventured into replacing theres.
Thnaks
Bern

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2001, 01:36 AM

Re: Replacing Tub on YJ....!

What about riveting on some diamond plate?
Then the next time you decide to back into a post, or tear the corner on a rock, its just a matter of drilling out the rivits and putting on a new peice.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2001, 01:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would concider Diamond plate ...But the Tub took impact on the windshield frame, and on the driver side rear 1/4 ....so my hard doors dont fit...also the body lines are all messed up.......I dont feel a pull on a frame machine will make a differance...........This wasnt a simple roll.......It rolled 3x at 25miles a hour(OUCH)
thanks Bern

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2001, 02:38 AM

off to the wreckers it is then.

I would imagine.
It would involve removing the old tub, and putting the new one on.

1) Seats
2) Dash
3) Wiring
4) Paint?
5) Tailgate/hinges
6) Winsheild Frame
7) Mating everything up.
8) Shifter/steering column.
9) Pedals.

Thats all I can think of right now.
I haven't done it, but I would suggest, in a perfect world, get one that is the right colour and has no damage. It will be worth the extra couple of $.
It shouldn't be as hard as putting a YJ tub on a CJ. It should all mate up without too much hastle.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2001, 07:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

just remember all the torx bolts... that will be a pain...
also remember that if your frame is bent that the body mounts on the new body will not line up, cause it isnt bent in the same spot

JR
"Some People Live An Entire Lifetime And Wonder If They Have Ever Made A Difference, But The Marines Don't Have That Problem" R. Regan
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2001, 07:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

just remember all the torx bolts... that will be a pain...
also remember that if your frame is bent that the body mounts on the new body will not line up, cause it isnt bent in the same spot

JR
"Some People Live An Entire Lifetime And Wonder If They Have Ever Made A Difference, But The Marines Don't Have That Problem" R. Regan
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 12:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Torx Bolts.....We dont need no stink'en Torx bolts......I have a nice new set of Drill bits ready to handle that mess.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 03:36 PM
Enthusiast

Tub swapping isn't hard. I swapped a YJ onto my CJ frame but they are almost identical. Gut the tub, take off the hood, unbolt the fenders, remove the batery/bracket, disconnect the heater/ac lines, disconnect the fuel filler, unbolt the tub, lift off the tub with at least two people, set the tub back on the frame and disconnect all the vent lines, roll over valve, etc, that you missed; then remove the tub. You can do it in a weekend if all the bolts come out easily and how much painting/fixing you have to do on the frame or tub.

Karl
80 CJ/YJ-7 FrankenJeep
94 Grand Cherokee
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 04:25 PM
utahjeepr

My personal take on body damage is this: Any damage that I do, I am very likely to do again. I dont know that that applies here, I can't imagine you are anxious to repeat such a violent rollover. I would ask this though, how pissed are you going to be when you get the new tub on and looking good then go out ans smash it up on a rock? If you expect a lot more body damage in the future, I'd beat it out as straight as you can and live with it. I live with a pretty nasty looking body on my CJ, it's very liberating.

September 11, 2001- We will not forget! We will not forgive!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode