Lockers in a D35 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2001, 09:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Lockers in a D35

I have heard it time and time again."Don't put any money into a D35" I have an auto TJ with 33's and 3.07s and a limited budget. I have a buddy who can hook me up with 4.11s, while in their I need to change carrier, he has a dana trutrac that he is trying to talk me into, I feel I need something more substantial, like a detroit. This jeep is driven daily by my wife, and worked over by me about 3 times a month. The cost of the super 35 kit is out of the question. My buddy said the EZ, lock-rite, detroit gearless locker and similar No Slip by powertrax have a strong record of destroying D35s. Whats a fellow to do who wants more traction? Will the axles still come out of housing if spun, with the use of a Detroit?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2001, 09:24 PM
sas87yj

Re: Lockers in a D35

i know guys that run all kinds of lockers in a stock 35 even with 35" tires. then again i have seen them break on the trail so it's tough to give a firm answer. i run 32's with the stock trac-lok and just don't gun-it. ANYTHING can snap. the POWERTRAX might be the way to go- less agressive on pvmt for the wife and should be sweet on the trail.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2001, 03:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

F/W-

I'm in the exact same boat as you....but I WONT put money into the 35 or the 30. I'm saving my pennies for 44s....maybe even 60s.....

mike

Give me Jeep or Give me Death!!!

(Will trade functioning organs for CJ-7 or flatfender)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2001, 02:29 PM

Well you can run the "lunch box lockers" EZ and Lock Rite in the 35's with 33" tires if you don't bang around to much off road. Keep the go pedal resonable and you should be alright. Hell hundreds of guys are out here running the 35 with no problems. yes you will lose the axle if you break, there is nothing to hold all that on except the "C" clip on the end of the axle, but you get that in some of the GM corporates and some of the bigger Ford rear ends as well. I have run the Lock Rite's in mine (87 non C clip) before I went to ARB's and had only to put up with the anoying poping and shaking that comes with lockers on a light vehicle.
GP'n

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2001, 03:37 PM

If you don't need it right away I'd wait for either a d44 or 8.8 rear axle. I think that's what I'm doing w/ my tj isntead of putting a lock right in my d35 and I'm only running 30's but don't want to put cash into the d35 and then end up putting more cash in a d44 or d60. The 8.8 from an explorer is a good swap you can get them w/ rear discs and 4.10's from the factory and are really plentyfull in junk yards. Then to attach them to your tj you can either cut your old brackets off and weld them on the new axle or get the kit from rubicon express for $300. It's intended for a d44 or d60 but will work w/ the 8.8 w/ a little modifying. If you really need a locker now weld your d35 and live w/ your wife complaining about it untill you can swap axles.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a minny van

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode