Need 5 bolt to 6 bolt swap help asap! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2001, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
I Do This For The Glory

Need 5 bolt to 6 bolt swap help asap!

Archie and I are up here in never-never land, working on his axles. We are swapping form the 5 bolt setup from a 1981 narrow track axle to his '78 6 bolt setup from his '78 axle. The caliper on the '81 is held on with 2 bolts, the '78 is held on with 6 bolts.

From everything I read on this BBS, and even some manuals, it's a direct swap.

However...

We are finding the 6 bolt caliper bracket is hitting on the 2 bolt caliper bracket, so it won't fit. Unfortunately, the 2 bolt ones are mated into the knuckle and cannot be removed easily.

So....what do we do? Will this swap or won't it? If so, how do we bypass the issue of the two piece hitting? He has the larger brakes on his '78 than on the '81. Will they swap?

ANY HELP is greatly appreciated!

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2001, 07:23 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Need 5 bolt to 6 bolt swap help asap!

you are trying to swap the hubs??? why is there a need to switch the calipers? cant you just switch the bearing hub assembly.. and leave the brakes alone? i was just messin with almost the same setup today.. but i wasnt paying close enough attention to the hub assemblies.. we had one of each there with us.. a 5 bolt and 6 bolt.. we put the 6 bolt hubs on a d44 scout axle that is going under a 79 cj5.. is the rotor mounting surface a different depth? mmm.. worst case.. just grind off the 2 bolt things from the knucle.. and put the 6 bolt ones on.. its just cast.. will grind easy..

http://www.jeepgod.net

<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2001, 07:32 PM
Keyboard Implanted

You only need to swap the hubs. The caliper/knuckle/spindle shouldn't be touched unless you are doing something else.

Later,

http://home.off-road.com/~tom85cj7/home.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2001, 07:33 PM

I always thought to do this you had to do everything from the knuckle out to make this a bolt on. Thats what I heard.

The land of the <font color=red>FREE</font color=red>, and the home of the <font color=blue>BRAVE</font color=blue>.
[email protected]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2001, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
I Do This For The Glory

So that means we change from the ball joints out, correct?

Tom, the 6 bolt hubs won't bolt onto the 5 bolt hubs. The whole caliper and hub assembly will swap, but the brake caliper bracket won't which is what we're having a problem with.

The late '70's 6 bolt hubs will bolt on as they use the same 2 bolt calipers, but these use the 6 bolt calipers, found in the early late 70's (confised now?).

A little more info as to what we're doing...

Archie had 3.54 gears in his '78 CJ-5. I have a Scout axle with 3.54's in it, that he was going to use to replace his 2 piece narrow track AMC axle with 3.54's. I told him I'd give him the axle if he found me some Scout shafts to use as spares, as it was my spare axle. He found a Scout axle with 3.73's in it that had been welded. Rather than use my axle, we decided to swap in my old Scrambler axle that had 3.73's in it and use his rear axle. Unfortunately, my front axle has the 5 bolt hubs and smaller brakes than his. So I looked on the Web at various places, and everything says they'll swap over easily. So we took them both apart and nothing swaps. This is where we're at. So he can use the 5 bolt hubs and smaller calipers, but he just had new calipers, pads, and rotors put on his, which is why he wanted to use them ($800 worth, but the rear axle had new brakes as well).

So it looks to us like nothing will swap over, so we'll have to use the 5 bolt stuff. We were unsure, maybe there was something we were missing, so I decided to post the question here.

This may make a little more sense now.

If we can't get this resolved, anyone want to buy some very slightly used 6 bolt hubs, large calipers, large rotors, spindle, and 6 bolt caliper bracket? They have been cleaned and fresh Mobil-1 synthetic grease applied.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2001, 12:15 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I am confused. I did this swap on my '85 CJ7 and all I did was get a set of used 6-bolt hubs and swap them for the 5-bolt ones. When I speak of the hub, I mean the part that the rotor and wheel studs are mounted through. The bearings and everything are interchangeable between those year models. The only difference is the hub and the available lockouts.

It would be item 6 in the image.

Later,
Tom

http://home.off-road.com/~tom85cj7/home.htm
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2001, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
I Do This For The Glory

Yes, you are correct. Those are a PITA to separate and we wanted to use the larger brakes as well.

BTW, I found out the "larger brakes" on the CJ's are EXACTLY the same thing as the IH Scout II front brakes.

I ended up just putting everything back together. One of his 6 bolt hubs was also VERY marginal, the inside was all chewed up, and whomever did his brakes left out the hub spring, so one side has been in all the time while he's been flat towing it. They also completely filled the hub with grease, no airspace, which is a no-no. The whole internal assembly is chewed up as well, but that part is the same as the 5 bolt, so we could have swapped there. What a mess.

Thanks for the post with the pic in it, it does get kinda confusing when the I refer to the "Hub", when I should be saying "Locking Hub". I'll make sure to differentiate better in the future.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2001, 10:58 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Crum-Bumble! That one hub locked could have destroyed the spider gears in the front differential.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
I know on my FS GM it lets me know real quick if one hub stayed locked by the growl of those spideys.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
A Jeep Skunkworks run by Moonguys[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img], buildin' the ultimate SNOJEEP!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2001, 10:14 PM

I did this swap. I took the 'bearing hub' off a narrow track. The rotor on the narrow track was the 'thick rotor.' I put the 6 bolt hub onto the wide tracks rotor. The narrow track had the six bolt caliper, the wide track used the 2 bolt bracket. Everything went together just fine.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
I Do This For The Glory

So that just gets you the 6 bolt hubs and not the larger brakes.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode