Cooling Problem. Any suggestions? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2001, 05:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Cooling Problem. Any suggestions?

Ok,

I have a 84 CJ7 with a chevy 305, 3 core Jeep radiator with tranny cooler, and it made for a chevy config. I have a electric fan and a 160 thermostat. Its running around 210-220... WHY?

I would say that the fan is not big enough however I have used this fan before on my AMC 304 and never had a problem.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

84CJ7 SOA,35's,OnboardAir,Dual winches,Full Cage,Snorkels, and more
OverMost 4WD Club
JerseyWheelers Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2001, 07:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Cooling Problem. Any suggestions?

Sounds as if you are having a problem with the fan....possibly not enough air flow. Have you not checked the cap? Also have a look at the hoses to make sure that they do not collapse during throttle. I know this is general info but it is often the little things.

JpShp
http://www.jeep-shop.com

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2001, 08:19 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

How about the thermostat being too low temp? I would guess that the thermostat is opening, then remaining open, not allowing the water to sit in the radiator and cool.

Most stock applications run about 195 degrees plus it's summer time.

Plus it's a cheap easy test. Usually you can replace a thermostat in 30 minutes, the re-evaluate.

DREW
IN2DEEP 78 CJ5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2001, 11:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

JerseyWheeler,
You might also want to check your coolant mix (50/50 mix), and remove any grill cover (that will restrict air flows to your radiator). What is the CFM of your electric fan?
My problem with my stock 2 row radiator with Flex-A-Lite electric fans is only when I'm sitting in summer traffic jams. But, once I turn on my 3rd electric fan (10" 950CFM) and I could see my temp starting to stable or drop. You could say that I'm not getting enough air flow with tired 3 years old Flex-A-Lite fans. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Nycjeep88 [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Let's go baja in NYC and see how well your suspension holds up.... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2001, 11:38 PM
Keyboard Implanted

how big of an electric fan are you using?

i would imagine since you are using a v8 you'd want 16 inches or so of fan, or maybe two smaller ones....

<font color=red>Jeep'n Greg</font color=red>
1985 CJ7 in pieces right now
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2001, 08:23 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Having owned a CRAPLOAD of 350 SB Chev-lays, I have come to understand that the engine does not "burp" well. The SBs have a tendency to trap air and not allow for the coolant to fill all of the engine/radiator spaces. FOR THAT REASON, some Chev-Lays return the heater loop to the top end of the radiator tank so the air can find it's way out and the engine can "burp". This can make the difference between cooling and not cooling on a hard pull like we just made with the 350SB powered "Super Puller".[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
A Jeep Skunkworks run by Moonguys[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img], buildin' the ultimate SNOJEEP!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 08:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, I'd agree with you but it worked great on the 304... Would there be a big difference with the 304/305? Thanks

OverMost 4WD Club
JerseyWheelers Club
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 11:00 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Well, what do you know! I was JUST reading the latest SUMMIT catalog and there is a Deadenbear item that helps a SB Shev-Lay "Burp" better. Here I thought that BURP was my own proprietory term.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] I'm telling you, the problem is in the BURP, not the fan, or the radiator.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] If you are a smart Joyzee dweller, you will rig a burp line from an available plug on the front of the intake manifold to the top tank of the heater and try that![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]BTW.....burp lines are COMMON on industrial and stationary engines.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] GET INDUSTRIAL!!!!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
A Jeep Skunkworks run by Moonguys[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img], buildin' the ultimate SNOJEEP!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 11:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dave,

I understand the intake part but what do you mean on top of the heater? Thanks.

OverMost 4WD Club
JerseyWheelers Club
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 12:23 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] If you are running a heater, return the heater outlet hose.....that's the top hose......to the radiator tank. On some Shivel-A radiators there is a 3/4" nipple for that purpose. You could have a port installed on your radiator if there is none. So the circuit is: OUT of the intake manifold....TO the heater....FROM the heater to the top tank of the radiator. All other hoses stay where they are.....you plug the port on the water pump.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] END of problems![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode