Wanted: Rear Axle - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2001, 05:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Wanted: Rear Axle

I posted on the wanted, but no luck, so I figured this got alot more traffic. I am looking for an AMC 20 w.2.73 gears. I found one for 600, is that reasonable for a used axle? Just not sure since i haven't done the axle thing before. Hoping to get the jeep running before the good weather is gone. Thanks for your help...any tips on where to look, or what to look for would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Mule

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2001, 06:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Wanted: Rear Axle

$600??? no, no, no...that price is horrible....I am looking for either full size axles or scout axles for our cj7 and I now have the dana 30/amc 20 combo with 4.11 gears factory..(4 cylinder)....thats a kind of price I might try to get for both front and rear but not just the rear...especially with 2.73 gears!...I would say more along the lines of $100-250(at most) depending on location and condition of the axle....just my opinion though....

push your limits, be extreme...anything less and you'll never learn.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2001, 06:19 PM

I'm sure it's more then reasonable for the guy selling it . Thats wrong with the one you have? If it's a spun hub just buy one piece axels and it won't happen again. Or replace it with a d44, IMO, if it breaks, it's to weak so upgrade.

Wayne @ Big Island RockCrawlers
"PYRO" The Rock Crawler
Web Site: http://www.members.tripod.com/surfmac/Index.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2001, 07:36 PM
Keyboard Implanted

No,NO,NO,.....

You should be able to find one for $100 or less. Tell us what is broken and maybe we can steer you in the right direction.

Later,

http://home.off-road.com/~tom85cj7/home.htm
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2001, 07:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Two shops have told me that the housing is bent. Fluid just falls out of the right rear, and both shops said that rebuilding wasn't worth it. SO....I figured that replacing the whole thing with a used unit would be wise. Anyway, I am going to keep looking. The $600 axle is close and has one piece axles, but from what you guys said that isn't a really fair price. So I am on the lookout still. Thanks

Mule

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2001, 08:02 PM

Now that you say it has one piece axles, it may be worth checking out closer. Does it have a locker too? For you to get an opinion, we need the details. Try talking the guy down.

Wayne @ Big Island RockCrawlers
"PYRO" The Rock Crawler
Web Site: http://www.members.tripod.com/surfmac/Index.html
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2001, 08:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The price does sound high even with the 1pc. kit. Need to know if it is a narrow or wide track?? I dunno where everyone is finding them for a $100.00 but I'll take a few at that price! Id' obviously offer the guy less. If you can get a rear with the 1 pc. already installed and it is the correct mate $400-450 is a fair price especially with that gear.

JpShp
http://www.jeep-shop.com

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2001, 12:50 AM
I Do This For The Glory

I have 4 or 5 of them sitting here, $100 each sounds good to me. They're all OK, no problems, variying ratios, but no 2.73's. I do have a 2.73 Trac-Lok setup though.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2001, 07:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

It is for a widetrac. SO I know that those are harder to find. Maybe I will try to talk him down to 4 or so. No locker, but it has been a month allready and I am kind of getting desperate to have wheels again. Thanks guys

Mule

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2001, 07:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

It is for a widetrac. SO I know that those are harder to find. Maybe I will try to talk him down to 4 or so. No locker, but it has been a month allready and I am kind of getting desperate to have wheels again. Thanks guys

Mule

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode