YJ runs for ten seconds - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2001, 05:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

YJ runs for ten seconds

I posted my problem last night and got no responses. I have high hopes this time.
My 91 YJ (4.0L/5speed/BDS lift) has run well since I bought it in March. This morning, I went to leave for work. The Jeep started normally, but stalled after about ten seconds. Three attempts to restart it were unsuccessful. I smelled gas as I got in my other truck to make it to work on time. Came home this afternoon and popped the hood to look for anything obvious. Again it started immediately and stalled after ten seconds, then wouldn't start. Same thing after an hour or so. It has a few hundred miles on an Accel coil, new fuel pump and filter, and properly gapped plugs. I have rebuilt engines in the past, but admittedly know very little about computer diagnostics and fuel injection. Any advice before I get elbow deep in it would be appreciated. Tried again today and it ran fine for 15 seconds before dying. Didn't try to restart it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2001, 06:37 PM

Re: YJ runs for ten seconds

Check for fuel leaks(you smelled fuel), if there is a leak, you would'nt have fuel pressure. The injectors will fire the fuel that's immediately in the line closest to the injector and then starve. Check fuel pressure, the fuel line(filter, pump) may be stuck or pinched only allowing a small amount of fuel to pass by, when you turn the key, the pump starts and has a little time to pressureize the system but after the start, it starves.

Wayne @ Big Island RockCrawlers
"PYRO" The Rock Crawler
Web Site: http://www.members.tripod.com/surfmac/Index.html
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2001, 07:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: YJ runs for ten seconds

You might as well check the flywheel sensor. when dirt accumulates on it it gives faulty signals to the computer module.

Desertbuzz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode