Tulsa Winch Co, who dat? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2001, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Tulsa Winch Co, who dat?

I found one neat looking winch today, it says Tulsa winch company, tulsa OK. rated at 8000 lbs, and is driven by an electric motor that turns a spur gear(?) that turns a worm gear. The thing looks pretty stout. If you can imagine the way a braden or old ramsey pto winch with an electric motor mounted on the same axis as the worm, this is basicaly how its set up. Does anyone have one? Are parts still available? How old are these things, what are the advantages/disadvantages? I might buy it if I can talk the guy into separating it from his jeep Its mounted on a 78 cj5 levis edition, 304, 3 spd. Dk green with a white metal hard top, in good condition for $4000. I can get the number if anyone is interested. in Newnan, GA

79 CJ7, 304, t150, 33's and no lift, manual steering
46cj2a beater and pile 0 parts.
75 wagoneer parts pile
96 Ram 2500 diesel 4wd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2001, 02:25 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Tulsa Winch Co, who dat?

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] TULSA is just about the oldest winch company around. Began in the Ol' Patch down in Okie. Tulsa winches have been to war on the front of GI trucks in WWII. I have had both Braden and Tulsa winches on rigs.......big ones.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] heh heh heh[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] The one you looked at is BACK POCKET SIZE as they say in the ol' bidness.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
A Jeep Skunkworks run by Moonguys[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img], buildin' the ultimate SNOJEEP!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2001, 10:55 PM

ehy I'm from Tulsa
I've never heard of Tulsa winch company though.
Could they have possibly changed into Ramsey?
Ramsey are made and the company is based in Tulsa

78 CJ7
Spring over 33's
4.3L V6, TH350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2001, 08:31 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Who knows? Maybe in the early eighties some first-day-on-the-job OSHA gal looking to make a big score walked into the historic Tulsa Winch Factory/Foundry; looked at the smoke from the castings and said: "Eeeeeeewwwwwww! You HAVE to clean this up!" and the grizzed old oilfield Okie who owned it said: "All I HAVE to do is die!" and that, perhaps, was the end of Tulsa. HUNDREDS of ma and pa foundries have been closed in just that fashion across the nation, and the work has all gone to China, Korea, Taiwan, etc. somehow THEIR LUNGS don't matter to OSHA.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] neither, I might add...do OUR JOBS! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]But, don't get me started on OSHA.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
A Jeep Skunkworks run by Moonguys[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img], buildin' the ultimate SNOJEEP!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 10:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I happen to live in Tulsa and no, Tulsa Winch and Ramsey are not the same company, and yes, Tulsa winch is still around although they lean more toward really heavy duty winches (20,000lbs & up). Their # is 918-298-8300 if you would like to call for parts availability. Hope this helps.

Matt

'00 TJ, 4.5" RE, 35" SSR's, H8PVMNT license plate

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 10:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I happen to live in Tulsa and no, Tulsa Winch and Ramsey are not the same company, and yes, Tulsa winch is still around although they lean more toward really heavy duty winches (20,000lbs & up). Their # is 918-298-8300 if you would like to call for parts availability. Hope this helps.

Matt

'00 TJ, 4.5" RE, 35" SSR's, H8PVMNT license plate

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 11:24 AM

How about this, has anyone heard of Koenig winches? I have one on my CJ-5 that was on it when we got it and it is very heavy duty. It says it is out of Chicago IL.

<font color=blue>97 TJ 4" Superlift, 33x9.5 BFG
79 CJ-5 2.5" Procomp, 32" Swamper TSL/SX, Summit Racing seats, homemade bumper and rocker guards, Lock Right up front</font color=blue>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 11:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Not 100%, but I think they are owned by the shock company by the same name. I do know that the shock company is out of Germany and the shocks, like most everything else that the Germans make, are very high quality.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode