Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Why electric fans? (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/88042-why-electric-fans.html)

H8monday 09-23-2001 07:24 PM

Re: Why electric fans?

Oooops, I meant my voltmeter, I dont even have an ammeter.

Jeff
89 YJ
Adversity is imminent, versatility is mandatory, misery is optional.

WILL 09-23-2001 09:00 PM

Sorry, Jeff, I just couldn't resist.

Ozark, I'm heading to Clayton this weekend. It's been a few weeks since I've been in the dirt and I think I'll have a light enough homework load this weekend that I can spare 1-1/2 days away.

CJDave 09-23-2001 09:05 PM

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I have been looking at fans for MONTHS and one of the things that did not add up was the advertised CFM vs current draw. I was leary of the advertised 2500-2800 CFM and thought it might be a fairy tale. The Ferd Contour fans that we will be using draw 30+ amps together and really howl at rated RPM.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] You know.......there are times when I wish I had BOTH an ammeter and a voltmeter.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] ALthough I was NO PROBLEM to see when my pickup alternator gave up the ghost when we were runnin' hard across Wyoming recently. I glanced at the gauge and,....well...it was down in the red.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Luckily we were carryin' a spare.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
A Jeep Skunkworks run by Moonguys[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img], buildin' the ultimate SNOJEEP!

sloop 09-23-2001 09:31 PM

soo. does anyone have an electric fan success story? I might be interested in going electric on my 258 if I can get a junkyard bargain.

Mark
83 CJ-7 and 76 CJ-7 with stuff

LWhite 09-23-2001 10:42 PM

Swaping a different fan into a 84-89 300zx is supposed to "regain 20hp".
And shave maybe .2 off your 0-60? It'd get you to 6.9 if that was true. no idea really

But would it help any off roading with a electric one in a jeep?

"motorcraft added 200+ horsepower!!!"
the ricer way of thinking ;)

ducmon900 09-24-2001 10:06 PM

Thats exactly why I went with my belt driven clutch fan. It may eat a little horsepower but I'm not running it down a track. I was afraid that if I got into a heavy winching session that it would draw too much juice. Reliability was second, I couldn't image being in timbucktwo and having the fan burn up or possibly getting wet and quitting. The only drawback I see with the old belt driven is water crossings and the possibilty of ruining a good radiator. ken

**DONOTDELETE** 09-25-2001 03:39 AM

h8, you might try the z28 camero dual fan setup. i know that is what tom elliston uses for his conversions and with good results. i run a dual SPAL 11' setup and they work good too. they are in thier own shroud and fits the jeep rad perfectly. i had all kinds of cooling troubles with different fan setups but this is the one! it works with my old 351w and a cj4 row rad it stayed nice and cool so i imagine your aluminum radiator would work even better with it.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
vortec350/4L80E/d300/d60fr/14br/detroits/4.56/38's

GreenMachine 09-25-2001 09:23 AM

Believe it or not I have been running one of the Advanced auto electric fans in my jeep since 1995 with no problems. I did have to replace the very first on because I had it inside the grill in front of the radiator and it caught a stick. It saved the radiator though. On my 360 I ran the largest they sell I believe it is a 18 inch. It kept my 360 at 180 degrees on the autometer during the summer. The one I have now is a 15 inch I believe and it stays at 150 degrees all the time as long as I leave it on(I think I have a thermostat stuck open). I did put a new water pump on my 360 when I started redoing it and I put a new pump on the 4.3. My radiator is a heavy duty 3 core brass model.

<font color=green> GreenMachine </font color=green>

H8monday 09-25-2001 09:28 AM

I have never had an overheating problem, I was really just looking for a cooling system which had less chance of ruining the radiator durring a roll over.
After experimenting with what many people consider a top of the line, E fan, I just dont see an electric as being the best way to go in my case. It is just too much of a burden on the electrical system, in my opinion. I use a 1000w AC inverter, quite often to operate my grinder, impact wrench and drill, for trail repairs. The added demand of lights, would mean that durring a night time repair, I could be forced to shut off the fan, durring repairs, to save the batteries and alternator.

Jeff
89 YJ
Adversity is imminent, versatility is mandatory, misery is optional.

utahjeepr 09-25-2001 10:15 AM

H8, why don't you quit messing around. With your electrical demands you need a PTO driven generator, or possibly an on-board nuclear reactor. ;-)

September 11, 2001- We will not forget! We will not forgive!