Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   New Fan Cowl or Elec. Fan? (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/88030-new-fan-cowl-elec-fan.html)

ExtinctJeep 09-21-2001 11:57 PM

New Fan Cowl or Elec. Fan?

When driving, my CJ5 with a 304 runs right at 190 degrees. I rarly have it creep up except when going slowly or idling (using the air tools) in which case it heats up to 230 degrees where I will get in and drive it around for a while. It's obvious that I need better airflow through my radiator as the temp drops almost immediatly when I get going.

Now I could put in a new cowl as I have none, but the only one I could find cost $110. Or I could put in a 16" Flex-a-lite pusher to augment the engine fan when going slow for $99.

What does everybody think?

Fritz
590[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Jeep...need I say more?

CJDave 09-22-2001 06:54 AM

Re: New Fan Cowl or Elec. Fan?

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Fritz, we are facing the very same quesion on our 304. It HAD NO fan shroud when we got it, and new ones are a lot of dough. The hot rodders who had this Jeep had installed a flexalite solid-drive fan, no clutch, so we needed that item too. Instead of all that, we are buying a set of fans from a Ferd Taurus. The dual fan seup almost fits the CJ radiator witout a trim-up, and the second fan is good for reliability and also to kick in with the A/C compressor. THE PROBLEM IS.......current draw. The fans draw about 30 amps, so that means a HUGE drain when you are running slow at night with the A/C blower and the compressor clutch and the fans running. We will have to go to a 100 AMP PLUS alternator fer sure, and maybe dual batteries. We just might try to get a Leese-Neville diesel truck alternator and use that instead of a GM-type upgraded unit. It will be dual belt drive for sure. Anyway, we have finally made that decision and the Jeeper who has the fans is going to get them to us this coming week. Oh,.....one more thing....the fans are NOISY. We thought about that and then we figured that we would do the very same thing to the CJ that we recently did to our FS GM pickup.......FIRST lay down a heat-reflecting, noise-deadening pad and sparingly glue it in a few strategic places; THEN over that goes a 5/8" jute pad; THEN the carpets, PLUS, we heat-taped the exhaust headers from the manifolds to the entrance of the muffler. That combination made a HUGE difference. Like we could listen to a tape with the engine at 3200 RPM and pulling hard.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
A Jeep Skunkworks run by Moonguys[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img], buildin' the ultimate SNOJEEP!

Smokngun 09-22-2001 10:30 AM

Another option to look at would be a FlowCooler water pump. They claim "100% more GPM flow rate at 900 rpm than any other pump on the market" and they make them for the AMC 4, 6, and 8 cyl engines. Around $90 for a V8 unit from 4WD Hardware. When the pump on my 258 starts to drip, thats what I'm getting.

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo, IT'S ALIVE!

ExtinctJeep 09-22-2001 12:50 PM

The water pump is interesting, but I have plenty of water flow, just not enough air to cool the water. I'll look into the electric fan setup.

CJDave, how did you fit all of that sound deadening into the Jeep? When I installed "new" floormats made of old conveyer belt, it was too thick and I had to leave the drivers side out. It measued ~1 inch thick. I used the heavy conveyer to kill the heat so my wife would ride home in it on the highway.

With the purchase of an electric fan and heavy alt, it would be way higher in cost than the shroud...would it not?

Also, what CFM should I look for?
....and should I consider replacing the mechanical fan completely with the electric?

Fritz

Jeep...need I say more?

WILL 09-22-2001 01:04 PM

Are you sure you have enough water flow? When you say the temp comes down when you get going, is it because of increased air through the radiator or the water pump pumping more water due to higher rpm's?

ExtinctJeep 09-22-2001 01:21 PM

I've tried reving the engine while working and holding a higher rpm and that doesn't seem to help. I only have this problem after hard, slow duty.

Fritz

Jeep...need I say more?

CJDave 09-22-2001 02:31 PM

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] The sound deadening/heat reflecting pads were about 5/16" and the jute was 5/8" plus the carpets. It all fit in OK. We made risers for the seat frames, and notched out for our custom center console/heater/shift tower. It took ALL DAY to fit this floor in the Jeep, and all afternoon and into late evening to do the FS GM pickup the same way.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]Using one layer of thick belting does not keep heat out as well as a layered system does, so you may find that Jeepchick still gets hot feet in your Jeep.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
A Jeep Skunkworks run by Moonguys[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img], buildin' the ultimate SNOJEEP!

ExtinctJeep 09-22-2001 02:55 PM

The belt worked for the summer I needed it. It has since gone away. I'm looking for that Taurus fan, do you remember what year it came off of? How did you wire it up? I'm beginning to really like this idea as it's a good impetus to get a higher amp alternator as well.

Fritz

Jeep...need I say more?

CJDave 09-22-2001 09:35 PM

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I'll check and see what year and so forth that Ferd fan setup came from. It has thermostats and the whole electrical setup with it.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

CJDave