'Gator Chaser is running and driving again. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2001, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

\'Gator Chaser is running and driving again.

Well, after replacing the starter (meant for an '86 GW with 360/TF-727) the ole 258 fired right up! Well, really it sputtered around on year old gas but that is besides the point- it runs! I slipped the transmission into 1st (or was that 3rd? I put in a full-manual valvebody but no cover on the shifter to see where it is in the pattern...) and crawled it (I was revving the bejeezus out of the engine but I must be short on fluid cause I wasn't moving much) onto the trailer. It was weird to not be using the clutch, I kept smacking the damn clutch pedal-think I'll hook it up to an airhorn.... Thank god that worked because pushing it is a b*tch! So now its back to my house, where I'll re-do the engine bay wiring, wire up the electric fan, fill the x-case with ATF, and make sure the coolant system is full of fluids. I'm going to weld up the Dana 35, maybe the Dana 30 too, and see how long it lasts.

Oh yeah, I got a CJ-grill and lights (even park/turn lights) and tailgate (with the JEEP stamp even). A little creative bodywork with the hood and fenders and I'll have a psuedo-CJ7 that can fit 33" tires without a lift [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
I'm sending the Dana 44s off to be re-geared (I dont have the time or know-how to do it) and as soon as they are ready I'll get to work on the lift ('79 Bronco Coils up front and 2.5" lift OME leaves in the back with some .5" lift shackles), and then the AMC v-8 swap!

Make it up as you go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2001, 07:58 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: \'Gator Chaser is running and driving again.

Thats pretty awesome. Doing good with gator chaser.
Have you checked the bargain trader this week? THere is a cj3b for sale in Lakeland. I called the guy and there are actually two jeeps. One is a buggy, and the one was going to be a buggy. He wants $400 for both OBO. It sounds like the rear is busted in one and the front is busted in the other. And there is no title. I was pondering picking it up, but it is so far away and the fiance will have my head. Thought i would pass it on. It is in the autos for sale section toward the back. It just says jeep 4 wheel for sale. But the picture show the grill which is a cj3b.

Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa JeeperS" member

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2001, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Yeah I saw that and circled it in red ink. How do you like my new signature pic? I think one more Jeep would fit in there.... My 'rents are pretty pissed though! The Postal is going to the shop, I dont have time to mess with it anymore and I just want it fixed up and sold. I need to haul the big boat to a storage place too. My rudders for the catamaran came so next week that can go out to the beach and I can hide the trailer in the woods at the school I work for (fenced in and all). I filled the NP-208 with ATF today. It took 3.5 quarts of it! I dont like the B&M Z-Gate shifter at all, what a pain in the ass! I put it where the manual shifter used to come out and it goes under the dash in the park position. Doesn't engage very well either. I'm selling it to a friend for $50 (half of what I paid for it) and buying a cheap linkage shifter that looks like a manual, so it should be back within reach. The electic fan still isn't wired up. I can't find the wiring or the diagram that came with it....

There were a few other 'steals' in the bargain trader. '86 dodge for $300 (in Lakeland) that my friend should pick up. He needs a new rear and end x-case for his $500 Dodge..., '78 Grand Wagoneer for $800 that runs and drives well (so it says...) and stuff like that.

FYI, my friend is giving away his hybrid truck. The frame is a '78 Cherokee, body from the cab forward is '75 J-20 (no bed on back, just a board with the gas tank and battery strapped down), running gear is '81 J-10 258 (I hear its all apart now), T-176, NP-208, D44 front and AMC20HD rear (both welded up with 3.54 gears) It is spring over axle up front, lift blocks in the rear. Has room for 38" tires (and no body lift). No rims currently on it but if someone wanted to haul it away I have some dinky donut tires on rims that will fit it. I'd love to swap a 360/TF-727 combo into this truck and put some nice tires on it, but I have no place to put it either!

'89 Comanche, '89 Wrangler, '74 Postal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2001, 12:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey...if you need an extra set of hands, etc. Give me a yell...

Jim

Jim O'Brien
[email protected]
http://www.tidesys.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2001, 01:52 PM

Nice, so 2 of the jeeps are now running. Hope you have fun wheeling it.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a minny van

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode