Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   yj starts then stalls (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/88018-yj-starts-then-stalls.html)

**DONOTDELETE** 09-21-2001 09:24 PM

yj starts then stalls

My 91 YJ (4.0L/5speed/BDS lift) has run well since I bought it in March. This morning, I went to leave for work. The Jeep started normally, but stalled after about ten seconds. Three attempts to restart it were unsuccessful. I smelled gas as I got in my other truck to make it to work on time. Came home this afternoon and popped the hood to look for anything obvious. Again it started immediately and stalled after ten seconds, then wouldn't start. Same thing after an hour or so. It has a few hundred miles on an Accel coil, new fuel pump and filter, and properly gapped plugs. I have rebuilt engines in the past, but admittedly know very little about computer diagnostics and fuel injection. Any advice before I get elbow deep in it would be appreciated.

**DONOTDELETE** 09-23-2001 03:08 PM

Re: yj starts then stalls

Today's update. I started it up and held it above 1500 rpm for about a minute. Let off the gas and it ran fine without stalling. Let it cool for three hours and started it again without my foot on the gas. It did not stall. I noticed that it initially starts at about 1000 rpm for 10-15 seconds, then drops to regular idle speed. Could a ISA or TPS malfunction make it stall when the computer kicks the idle down? I think the high initial idle speed is a normal emission function.

**DONOTDELETE** 09-23-2001 11:28 PM

Re: yj starts then stalls

ss287,
You need to check if you have any engine code(s), then you can troubleshoot from there. When was the last time you clean your idle air sensor (on the side of the throttle body)? It probably is full of carbon build up. You need to have Torx drivers to remove the unit, you might want to clean your throttle body while you at it (you'll need to have a new replacement throttle body gasket).

My 91 Jeep stalled at the light when it was cold, I cleaned my idle air sensor and worked for few weeks (no codes). Just last month, it did the same thing. Except this time I got a code for throttle position sensor, so I just replace TPS and it has been trouble free so far.

Nycjeep88 [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Let's go baja in NYC and see how well your suspension holds up.... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]