Turning??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2001, 10:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Turning???

Hello all. I've got a question for you all. I put a 4" lift on my jeep around a year ago with a drop pitman arm. First off I had a hell of a time with the pitman arm. When I put it on it would hit the tie-rod when I hit a bump in the road. I called skyjacker and they told me I needed an add a leaf for my front springs because I have a winch. Well I don't want it to ride like a rock so I heated ( I know that is bad ) up the pitman arm and bent it up ( made it a little flatter ) to clear the tie-rod ( the arm that does the stearing ). Any how I had to play allot with the adjustment to get the same amout of turnes out of my stearing wheel. When I first got it togeather I had something like three turns to the left and two and a half to thr right. You get the idea. Any how I have the same amount of turnes now but I need a parking lot to turn the thing around. I'm running 35" tires and I expect some wider turning than stock but my full size truck turns sharper. I don't even come to the bump stops, I think it's around a half inch away. I've been living with it for almost a year now and it's drivivg me nuts. Please help!! Frustrated!!

Top Dawg!! Only the Big Dawgs Bark!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2001, 11:12 AM
MNT
Addict

Re: Turning???

I have a similar turning radius problem with my YJ after putting in the waggie dana44 in front. I am going to try putting the waggie pitman arm on (it is longer and will therefor turn the wheels further) hopefully that will work. You might want to look into that. I picked my waggie pitman arm for about $30.00. G'luck

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] MNT [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2001, 11:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Skyjacker makes a 4" drop pitman for a Waggie, just fyi. You might be able to use it.

Jason

----------------
[]llll[] '90 YJ & '88 Grand Waggie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2001, 11:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the info, I was wondering if something else is wrong or what?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2001, 01:41 PM

I had the same turning problem with my dropped pitman arm. I lengthened mine to make the wheels turn more. I believe the dropped arm is a little shorter than the stock arm. I don't know if there is a difference between power steering arms or not. I noticed in the latest 4wd catalog they are showing a different one for each.

Lugnut 77 cj5
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2001, 01:43 PM
Mud in my Veins

Are the tires hitting the springs? Just a thought.

Caver Dave
'72 Commando "Project Mossy"
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2001, 01:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The tires aren't hitting the springs, they aren't hitting anything except the curb when I TRY to do a " U " turn. Does anyone know the difference between a power steering drop pitman arm and a normal one? Maybe I got the wrong one. HELP!!

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2001, 01:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

How did you make yours longer?

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2001, 02:45 PM

I took my old arm and combined it with the dropped arm. I cut the dropped arm at the arrow (see diagram) and added a section of the stock straight arm that made the hole dimension about 1" longer. I had a buddy who is a competent welder do this, he beveled the mating edges and welded it all the way around with a industrial miller( at least a 1/2" wide weld if not larger). I would recommend you have the welding done by a professional, cause if this weld breaks it could kill you or others.

Lugnut 77 cj5
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-546824-(1)_1.jpg (73.9 KB, 0 views)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2001, 03:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I understand what you mean by having a good welder do it. I was scared to heat mine up and use it. Do you know the difference between the two different pitman arms? I'm thinking that I might have gotten the wrong one? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode