I think I just burned up the clutch!!!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 09:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think I just burned up the clutch!!!!!

Well tonight I took my 98 TJ out and got stuck going over a hill. The jeep was stuck on the axle and wouldnt go anywhere so I dropped the clutch several times while giving it around 4500 RPMs. The tires were just spinning and something smelled like it was burning. Assuming I did burn the clutch (it's still stuck and sitting there) how much would it cost to buy a new one and pay labor fees? Could I do this myself---I'm not a master mechanic here but decent at things. I hope I didn't mess it up good.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 09:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: I think I just burned up the clutch!!!!!

I am no expert but, I kind of doubt you completely ruined your clutch. You might have smelled the clutch burning but that is not that uncommon, examples someone new to clutch "riding" the clutch, or tires to big for the gear ratios starting from stop. It is also possible you smelled your tires burning some, or even burning something in the dirt. As for clutch replacement I helped a friend on a ranger and it was not that bad, 3 of us had it in and out in a weekend working leisurely (biggest problem was bleeding the hydraulic clutch), but it is fairly involved, pulling tranny and x-fer case being the big things.
David

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 10:08 PM
sas87yj

WHAT? you left it WHERE? all alone on it's axle? can you see it from your bedroom window or are you sleeping in it? go get a high lift jack and get it home. if it shifts ok then your clutch just got hot- seen clutches get hot and smelly many times on the trail. $200 for complete clutch parts- flywheel/ring-gear,disc,pressure plate,slave/throwout bearing and pilot bearing. let's get it home first and then worry about the clutch!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 11:57 PM
I Do This For The Glory

At 4,500 rpm's you'll snap the entire drivetrain if it connects.

NEVER go that high unless you're in mud and STILL MOVING FORWARD.

Geeze, I always see throttle jockeys out there, people who don't understand that slower is better and a spinning tire gets no traction.

OK, down off the soap box now.

If you were spinning it up that high, I'll bet you were smelling rubber from the tires and not the clutch. The TJ's have a hydraulic clutch setup, very reliable and very positive unless you're slipping it on purpose. We have 94K on our clutch, still positive enough to chirp the tires on every corner and not a threat of slipping.

If you're hung up, take the stock jack out from under the seat and jack up one corner at a time, then shove logs underneath. Do this enough times and you can drive right off. A friend and I spent 2 hours doing this with a bottle jack one night in the middle of the woods, and all 4 were off the ground (high centered on some skidder ruts). Needless to say, a Hi-Lift is worth it's weight in gold right about then.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2001, 12:05 AM

In other words, if you left it and it's not over waste deep. Sell it! You are a danger to yourself and others.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode