Help installing 4.3 Vortec?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 07:26 PM
onetuffcj

Help installing 4.3 Vortec??

Got my self a 93 4.3 C.P.I motor, need advice for motor mounts and people that do such conversions. I am putting it in a 48 cj3-a. Any knowledge or advice is appreciated.I'm gonna run with a T-18 and a original 18 transfer. 9" rear and 44 front. I'm ready to assemble i just need a source for the computer wiring and motor mounts and any other advice in installing this so i don't waste my motor warranty.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 07:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Help installing 4.3 Vortec??

I've put a 94 4.3 CPI into my 83 CJ7. See my website for loads of information on the installation. The _simplest_ wiring setup is available from Howell EFI. They sell a harness that take for that motor that takes 4 external wires to hook into the vehicle. It costs a few dollars (~350.00 I think) but it was very well made and went in easily. What BH are you going to use to mate the 4.3 to the T18?

Think through your exhaust routing when test hanging everything in.. Manual or Hydro clutch?

If you have any questions after checking out my site let me know.. Link is in my sig.

Jim

Jim O'Brien
[email protected]
http://www.tidesys.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 08:14 PM
onetuffcj

Jim, i'm gonna run a hyd. clutch, AA has the bell housing for my T-18. Do you have a web address for Howell or part numbers to make this work? How about sites ?
thanks, Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 09:30 PM
Can't Get Enough

I used the AA motor mounts on my 4.3. I know they are made well because when I broke my tranny crossmember in 3 pieces they kept the motor from falling out and I was able to drive down the hill I was on (where I used a come along and a log to make a temporary crossmember
http://www.howell-efi.com/ is the link to Howell's website. You will have to call and give numbers off your feul computer for them to match up the harness you need perfectly.

<font color=green> GreenMachine </font color=green>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 10:10 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I've got an Iron Duke bellhousing, a Ford T-18 is a direct bolt on to the Iron Duke bellhousing and 4.3 V6. The Iron Duke bellhousing used a hydraulic clutch also. I'm sure I'll be $$$ less than AA for there bellhousing.
dave

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 10:45 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Mike, I have a few of those bellhousings laying around if you need one. They're in Waldoboro.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2001, 07:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The only thing about the Iron Duke BH is that you have to run the smaller Chevy flywheel...but if you have one then you'll save big $$$. I ended up installing a SM465, and am using a Chevy V8 flywheel... Motor rev up fine and takes its time coming down with the extra mass of the V8 flywheel. Should be nice on the trail, assuming I ever get the darn thing down here!

When you talk with Howell, they will need the Computer number to make sure its compatible with the harness/motor combo. The one I had with my 94 worked fine.... I've only driven mine a few miles since doing the swap and I know I have an issue I need to work out, occasionally when stopping it will stall. It may be because I am not using a Speed Sensor.. I'll figure that out once I have more seat time.

Jim

Jim

Jim O'Brien
[email protected]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2001, 08:34 AM

Hey jim did you have a park/neutral wire from your computer? If you did you might try grounding it. later ken

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2001, 11:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks Ken. I'll look into that when I have a chance.

Jim O'Brien
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode