Anybody have a power brake booster bracket? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Anybody have a power brake booster bracket?

I am trying to do the dual diaphram brake upgrade. I went to the local JEEP dealer and ordered my booster bracket for a 87 Wrangler (going onto my CJ5). It was supposed to be in Tuesday. I went and tried to pick it up tonight (Wednesday). Originally the bracket was supposed to be coming from Atlanta, today I'm told it's coming from Wisconsin. And the parts guy said he really couldn't predict when it was coming in....... UGH!!

So now I'm looking to pick one up some where else. Anybody have a booster bracket laying around? (booster to firewall)

DREW
IN2DEEP 78 CJ5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 07:53 PM

Re: Anybody have a power brake booster bracket?

If you get desperate try these guys. They are a yard right near me. I know that they have a bunch of wranglers.
http://www.lamyers.com/

heres what it will look like when you are done.

'79 CJ-7
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-546145-pbrake.JPG (22.5 KB, 1 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 08:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If a genuine CJ bracket would suit your needs I can fix you up. Send me a private message if interested.

76 CJ5,2.5" lift/Rancho 9000's,258/T-177/D300,HEI,Offy,Locked F&R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 10:14 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Chris.....is that setup actuated in a straight line? As in without the bellcrank that the Jeeps with power brakes normally use? We are going from 10" brakes to 11" brakes on the CJ and we need to use a different master cylinder of course. It would be the right time to install POWER BRAKES. By using the dual diaphram booster, does the booster miss hitting the engine? I ASSUME that the bellcrank system was to elevate the booster to miss the V8 engines in the CJs. Is that correct?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
A Jeep Skunkworks run by Moonguys[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img], buildin' the ultimate SNOJEEP!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 11:08 PM

Yep it is in a straight line. I am not sure how it would fit in a stock CJ with a steel tub. Mine has a glass tub which has about a 1" body lift built in. So it clears easily. Without the bellcrank (or YJ bracket) the dual diaphram booster looks like it would be a tight fit with the steering column and shaft but might work. The booster and master from an '82 corvette. The vett booster has a threaded push rod instead of a loop at the end. This allows you to easily make an adjustable rod to change pedal height.

Here is a shot from the front.

'79 CJ-7
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-546355-pbrakeft.JPG (26.8 KB, 1 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2001, 09:31 AM

Chris, i have 2 questions. would that booster work with a stock 84 CJ-7 power brake booster bracket? are the fitting sizes on the stock 82 corvette master cylinder the same as the stock cj lines (are adapters needed)? i just looked at Autozone.com and an 82 corvette booster and master cylinder combo is $99. thanks! matt

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2001, 11:33 AM

I am not sure if it will fit a stock CJ bracket. I had to drill out the holes on the YJ bracket to 1/2" and it fit with just that slight amount of modification. I suspect you will have to do the same with the CJ bracket.
The brake lines are the same fittings. But the location (where the lines screw in) on the master is reversed.
Also, the vette master is for disc brakes all around. You will need to add a 10lb residual valve in line if you have drums in the rear. you can see the one I have in the first pic. It is the little red thing that is in line. I intend in going to discs in the rear which is why I went with the vette master.

'79 CJ-7
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2001, 12:00 PM

Yes, the Gm booster will fit the 84 CJ7 bracket, it's slightly wider bolt spacing so you need to file the holes a bit wider. Your stock master cylinder will bolt on to the booster as well. The tricky part is that the booster from the gm I used (S10 truck or cadillac) has too long a linkage fromthe booster to the bellcrank. You have to cut the linkage down. Best not to weld it in place on the booster as you could damage internals. Many do it that way though. I had a shop rebuild the booster and install a shorter linkage. Cost me $150.00 cdn and then it just bolted right on to my 84 CJ7. Very good upgrade.

Tim

84 CJ7, 258, HEI, M/C 2100 carb, 5 inch lift, RS9000's, 33x12.5 BFG M/T's, 4.56's and Detroit softlocker, full cage & belts, Xenon flares, Dana 44 rear, GM dual diaphragm brake booster
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2001, 12:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Did you have manual brakes before the booster install ? If so do you have more braking power now ? I have 39.5 x 18 in wide Boggers on my 83 CJ-7 and are in need of some more wooo power . I have stainless lines which helped the manual setup . Let me know , thanks .

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2001, 12:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Did you have manual brakes before the booster install ? If so do you have more braking power now ? I have 39.5 x 18 in wide Boggers on my 83 CJ-7 and are in need of some more wooo power . I have stainless lines which helped the manual setup . Let me know , thanks .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode