gees cost of factory d80 setup - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

gees cost of factory d80 setup

ok check this out, i drive for work a ford f450 powestroke with a d80 rear end this truck is a 2000 with about 52kmiles on it. And not to nag on ford, but this truck has been a hag, i deliver appliances and we rarely get more than say 2500 to 3k lbs of a load on it really a light loas i think for its size, and weve already replaced the turbo twice and the 3rd is already starting to moan, the air conditioning never really worked very well and the rear axle and pinion seals leak and the emergency brakes never even though about working. So everytime we have it in for an oil change i tell the service writer of our problems, especially including the pinion and axle seal, and every time they smile and say ok we will check that out. well this last time they check the turbo and rear and said everything was o.k. and charged us 50 bucks to check it out, on top of the 65 dollar oil change, shortly after that the rear end started to raise all kinds of hell and gained about a half inch of backlash, i wasnt about to take it back and hear them say it's fine and charge me 50 bucks more so we drove it till the next oil change. on the way to the dealer it was trying to lock up but who am i to argue ford said it was fine. well 2 days later they called us and said the rear is gone needs all new bearings and r and p and that our 100k mile powertrain warranty didnt cover the rear end. but that they'd gladly fix it for get this 2200 dollars oh and that douesnt include the fact that the brakes are toast from dope pourin over them for the last 20k miles and that will be extra. i mean what the hell does ford include in the powertrain? is a dana 80 a maintenance item? this truck has been a turd and so has ford so im just venting about it but if anyone has any advice please come forth. oh i told my boss i'd do the rear for 1000 wouldnt that be nice!!!!!!!!!do they make a detroit for a d80???
soggysod

if it aint broke, break it so you can learn to fix it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 06:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: gees cost of factory d80 setup

I would get a second opinion from a differant dealer or contact the Ford regional service rep and complain. The axle certainly is part of the powertrain and since the dealer checked it and said it was ok even though it wasn't and it tanked they certainly should have some responsibility. Axles aren't supposed to leak- the 47 year old D44 on my Willys still has the original seals and it doesn't. They will also be required to replace the brake linings since those failed as a result of the leak. If they cant find a simple leak then I would tell your boss to take his business elsewhere. You might have trouble getting all the parts you need for $1000 for a D80- they are big and expensive. Good luck!
-Josiah

Hillsboro, OR
1955 Willys CJ5 Buick 225 V6 160HP 270ft-lbs, T90 trans, Warn OD, PTO winch, Spicer 18 T Case, RS9000's, Dana 25F/ 44R,
5.38:1 gears, 11" brakes, Bestop Supertop, Hurculiner
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 07:04 PM
I Do This For The Glory

I have gone round and round with Ford myself, back in the early 90's. We had an F-350 for a company truck, and it was back 19 times in 32,000 miles.

It seems out hubs locked themselves in all the time, and the front end would slam and then grind. Every time I took it to the dealer they claimed everything was normal and they couldn't find any problems. So one day I did like you describe, I ignored the grinding and drove it until it puked, then brought it in. They claimed it was not under warranty either, until I pointed to all the slips of my complaints. They had no choice but to fix it under warranty even though the time limit had expired. It turned out to be excess grease and the 1/4 turn throw of the Ford hubs, the grease had dried out and solidified (there was some rust as well), and the outer bearing heating up just a little expanded the whole mess and locked in the hub. When they took it apart it was completely toast from the hub to the U-joint.

Just because they never found a problem with the rear end doesn't mean there wasn't one, the fact you reported leakage is enough for them to have to address your current problem. Also, make them show you where in the contract it says the rear axle isn't part of the drivetrain.

Yes, they do make a Detroit for a D80.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

ttp

if it aint broke, break it so you can learn to fix it
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 09:46 PM

I would read the powertrain warranty, it should be covered for 100k. At work we have 2- 99 f450's
One has 90k on it and have replaced
-turbos twice
-clutch twice...both time the sprigsin the disc popped out
One with 40k
1 turbo
1 clutch......springs popped out again
a/c sytem

After doing some research I found that Ford is having a problem with the 4 turbo bolts backing out. even using locktight often times will not cure it. The cure that works I know of is drilling a hole in the head of each bolt and running a 1 wire through the 4 bolts...keeps them from backing out. On the cluthces its a appearantly a wide spread problem too. One of the companies that makes the clutch's(cant remember who)is the clutch that pops the springs. Just this brand does it, if the rebuilt unit is from them it will most likely happen again as ours did. We did not use Fords service to replace the last set of clutches.

87 Samurai- 5.12's locked up,4340 front,hybrid rear,4.16's,P/S.,Toy. carb.,DT header, 33's, 2" exhaust and Durabak inside and out.
92 Samurai- Its next!!!

Zookin- a family affair
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode