how wide can i go with 8" rims? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 03:34 PM
Joker2002

how wide can i go with 8\" rims?

I have some 15x8 rims and I was just wondering how wide of a tire I could go. First of all, what is the widest size that is physically possible? Second, what is the widest size that is safe/reasonable? Also, one more thing, what the heck is a "bead"?

Blake
93 YJ/4.0L/30s (Soon to have about 7" of lift!)
"Drive it like a wild man!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 03:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: how wide can i go with 8\" rims?

I know you can put at least a 33x12.5 on a 15x8, any bigger you might need new wheels. What determines the size of tire you run is going to be how much lift and/or body shaving you have. A bead is a small lip that goes around the sides of your wheel to hold your tire on when you air your tires down. Real bead locks are not street legal. If you like the look get those crappy "street locks".

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 03:59 PM
Joker2002

Do you have some pictures of real bead locks or street bead locks that I can see?

Blake
93 YJ/4.0L/30s (Soon to have about 7" of lift!)
"Drive it like a wild man!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 04:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

No, sorry and I don't know that many people that have any myself. Generally alot of rock crawlers have them, but me and my friends have never needed to air our tires down that much.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 04:07 PM
Keyboard Implanted

i have seen 33X14.5" tires on 8" rims and they guy didnt have any problems. I have run 33 and 35x12.50 many many miles on 8" rims and I think thats the correct rim size for the applications.here is a pic of my beadlocks.

~~Elusive~~
1 ton tj-7 thingy
http://www.jeepgod.net
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-546004-P7130103.JPG (62.1 KB, 0 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2001, 09:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think 12.5 is the widest you should go...any bigger than that will look pretty stupid and wont be very safe.

Girls like dirt too!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2001, 09:46 PM
Frank360

I currently have 8" rims, and don't get crap anymore between the tire and rim like I used to with my aluminium 10". I run 33x12.5 BF mud terrain. I was planning on going to 35 one day, I guess I should be looking for rims also...

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2001, 10:14 PM
sas87yj

yeah where each side of the tire seats up against the wheel is the BEAD. the bead is multiple strands of stainless steel cables encased in thick rubber.they form an airtight seal with the wheel's bead area. a bead-lock rim has an outer rim that bolts over the exterior tire bead and retained by 24 bolts. this provides positive retention of the tire to the wheel even when the tire is run at low pressure and driven agressively.

a good rule of thumb is to match a tire's tread width to the wheel's width. for example a 33x12.50 tire has a tread width of about 10" which makes them an excelent fit on a 10" wheel, however those same tires can be used on an 8" wheel. the tire will pull in at the sides on a narrow rim which is good in rocks as the tire will protect the rim.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode