Need Tire Help - 31" - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Need Tire Help - 31\"

OK. Give it to me straight gang, 97 TJ, stock height, currently with 215s, How will 31 x 10.5" BFG ATs look on the Canyon rims?

Are they gonna be "big enough?"

If anybody has pictures of this setup, i'd love to see them!!

Thanks!

BillTJ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 11:32 AM

Re: Need Tire Help - 31\"

IMHO - it will look good. Bound to be an improvement over the 215s (about 27" dia) on it now.

Big enough? That is your call not mine or anyone elses'...

larger tires will bring other points to ponder - rubbing and gearing are the two biggest

Tell what engine, transmission & gears this Jeep has plus what is your intended use. You will get more opinions about what is best setup than you can find what to do with.

My exp with a 2.5L 5spd TJ and 31s - retained good street manners (except the bias-ply thing but I accepted that). it could go most but not all places my friend's w/bigger Jeeps went off road (I accepted that too) - even better off road after adding 2" spacer lift. when parked next to a friend's TJ w/33s and 3" of lift mine looked tiny. I liked it just fine. I was sad to sell it.

Here's a pic. I know it is not Canyon rims... but it is best I can do.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-545786-tjmt.jpg (71.7 KB, 0 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply! The Jeep is a 5 speed 4.0, intended use: daily driver, snow, sand, cross country trails, eastern US terrain, no slickrock or desert type stuff at my immediate disposal.

bill

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 07:22 PM
Enthusiast

31's look and work great on factory 8 inch wheels, but you will have to adjust the steering stops or else you'll get tire rub on the lower control arms. On the back of each hub/spindle assembly, you'll see a bolt with a jam nut welded to it. You can easily see these bolts looking under your Jeep from the front. Remove the bolts and add a couple of washers and replace the bolts. Check to see if there is still any rubbing. If so, add more washers. You may need anywhere from one to five washers per side, depending on how wide the tires are and how thick the washers are. Each side will probably be different. On my 97 TJ with 31 inch BFGoodrich Mud TA's, I only needed two or three per side.

I also added 3/4 inch front coil spring spacers to give the front tires a little more room to flex, and level my Jeep out a little, since the front sits a little lower then the rear. Now it really looks sharp! Not to mention much better traction then the factory tires.

"It's a Jeep thing... and I DO understand"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-546183-JEEPROCKSsmall.JPG (14.0 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode