Can't make 3rd gear - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Can\'t make 3rd gear

I went wheelin this past weekend and was unable to get the tranny to shift into third gear whatsoever. I was at Monteagle the week before and everything was working fine, but the moment i started off this past Saturday the tranny wouldn't let me shift to 3rd. I mean there is no way of gettin that sucker into 3rd. Any ideas or input would be appreciated.

<font color=blue>97 TJ 4" Superlift, 33x9.5 BFG
79 CJ-5 2.5" Procomp, 32" Swamper TSL/SX, Summit Racing seats, homemade bumper and rocker guards, Lock Right up front</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 07:59 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: Can\'t make 3rd gear

Which jeep? Does it go into the other gears fine or is it hard? Did you check the tranny fluid level?

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 11:03 AM

well I could'nt get mine into 1 or 2 a couple of weeks ago and 973 bucks(rebuilding my tranny end to end, new clutch, resurfaced flywheel, and new u-joints) later it drives like new.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Its in the CJ. Every other gear is easy to get into, no problems at all. Haven't checked the tranny fluid yet as I haven't driven the Jeep since it came about. Could it be the synchronizers, I know 1st isn't synchronized but the rest of the gears are?

79 CJ-5 2.5" Procomp, 32" Swamper TSL/SX, Summit Racing seats, homemade bumper and rocker guards, Lock Right up front</font color=blue>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 06:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Is this a 3 or four speed. I assume it is stock?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 08:12 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Must be the T-18a if first isn't synchronized.

OK, now that we know what tranny it is, we can address it from there.

Assuming it's stock, you should have a manual clutch setup. Did you try adjusting it? How about aligining the gears by putting the tranny in another gear first and then 3rd, or will it not go into 3rd at all?

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Just to clarify things, it is the stock T-18a manual 4 speed tranny. The thing is it won't go into 3rd gear at all. The last time I drove it, last saturday, I was on the way to some trails and just had to shift from 2nd to 4th. I do need to adjust the clutch and I will make sure I do it this weekend. If that doens't work are there any other suggestions that might get this fixed. Thanks for all the help.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2001, 12:06 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Yes, if you have the other gears, it sounds like the 3rd gear synchro may be out of alignment. Either that or the shifting rod in the tranny is bound up. My SR-4 had a synchro that was shot, then I realigned it one day while shifting without the clutch (sounded like the tranny let go, shook the whole jeep), and it was back. Then another gear left in very small pieces, but that's another story.

To check which one it is, remove the tranny cover and the top of the tranny where the shifer goes. Cycle the shifter with it off the jeep to make sure the shift rails aren't bound. There are some interlock pins that can come loose and bind things up well. If it cycles well, you know it's the synchros.

I have the manual on that tranny and can scan it if you'd like. It shows the exploded diagrams of everything along with assembly/disassembly procedures.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode