Thinking about this, any input?

http://www.4x4connection.com/tech/expeditionrack.htm

'01TJeff

"Roads? Where we're going; we don't need...roads"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2001, 10:51 PM

Re: Thinking about this, any input?

I cant get a good read from you, on what you are trying to achieve with your modifications, so its kinda hard to give you advice sometimes. It almost seems like your trying to bolt on every available part in the magazines.
If you have a really, have an ongoing problem with not having enough room in your Jeep, then that is one solution.
Jeeps in general, usually come up short in the storage deptartment, and learning to pack lean is always one of the best performance based soultions(or at least part of it).
The biggest problem(s) I see with the overhead racks, is that. 1: You are adding a lot of weight up top, adversely affecting your C/G. 2: You are increasing your hieght adversely affecting your clearance in heavy shrub areas. 3: You are placing your gear out in the elements, light gear such as sleeping bags, will need protection from weather and trees and shrubs, heavier gear such as ice chest add lots of top heavy weight, and are still in harms way from trees.
For road and well maintained, high clearance trails, it would probably be fine.
So you need to ask yourself is it worth the downsides for the amount and type of storage you will gain.

Jeff
89 YJ
Adversity is imminent, versatility is mandatory, misery is optional.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 09:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

No, I see a lot of bolt on stuff I wouldn't think about putting on my Jeep. I'm not claiming to be a master craftsman, I wouldn't even be able to start fabricating something like that, which I'm sure you could. That's why I have to live with stuff that's already made, instead of stuff I need. I have a bunch of ideas for stuff that's not made already, but have none of the fabrication skills needed. I was thinking if I can get that rack, it would solve a lot of things. I have a spot for more lights, a spot for my full size spare on top, and can make the tailgate flesh like I like it. axle, shovel, jack mounts, basically everything I want, and one place to put it all. Instead of dishing out a ton more money for different things. I guess it would make me quite a bit more top heavy. And I dunno how strong those attatchment points are to hold up all that weight. I guess we'll see

'01TJeff

"Roads? Where we're going; we don't need...roads"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 10:57 AM

Well your doing the right thing, your asking lots of questions. It can get very expensive going through the learning curve of what works well and what doesnt, for different applications. We have all been there.
One example, is the lights above the window on the bar as you mentioned. we used to run a couple of PIAA lights up ther a few years ago. We found out, excactly one dusty evening on the trail, after all of the money and work to install them, that on a dusty trail, they scatter so much light across your field of view, that you can see better with them turned off. We also discovered that it annoyed anyone else in the group in front of you. People behind us on the other hand, were quite impressed with the nearly stadium lighting that we were giving them. They turned out to be useless at that location, but we kept them there just long enough to have them torn from there mounts by a branch. live and learn. Many people will tell you that they love their worthless swag, and swear that it works well, even when it sucks, because they have the need to try to feel better about their worthless purchase. Learn by what performance based guys in your area are running.
NOTE: Performance based rigs are not neccessarily the rigs owned by people who have mounted the worthless swag on their rigs, so dont get caught up in all of the goodies, enjoy the drive, and learn to drive.
I would say learning how to pack propperly for whatever type of run your doing would be far more advantageous than a new rack. there are many tricks to packing that can gain you some much needed storage area.
Not trying to rag on ya, Im just trying to point you in the right direction.

Jeff
89 YJ
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 11:26 AM
JEEP_1

Well I guess I am one of those people who swear by thier worthless add on. I have a full rack on my Jeep and a smaller rack on my wifes Jeep (both built by me). They work great for me. Not every Jeep is a dedicated rock Jeep. Believe it or not we don't have endless acres of rocks out east. So there is another style of wheeling besides rock crawling. Build what works for you. All the creative packing in the world will not fit my 3 kayaks, camping gear and occupants. If you want a rack go for it. Take a look at the Camel trophy rigs seems like they all have racks on them. I guess they didn't realize they where worthless add ons.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 11:45 AM

This was not meant as a personal dig, I said up front that I do not have a good read for what he is trying to build. Im sorry but if you tried to carry your Kayaks up the Dusi trail they would be left behind at the 1st forrest thicket, no rocks involved.
I said up front that it would work well for roads and groomed trails, and if you dont have problems with the issues I mentioned then you are not driving heavily btree and shrub burdened trails. Dont take it personal, but those racks are top heavy and put your gear in harms way. Top heavy will affect you on any steep trail not neccesarily rocks. Dont tell me,.... you have lights mounted on the top also and they work great for you, and guys in front of you at night also think they are great too,... right.

Jeff
89 YJ
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 11:52 AM

By the way the camel trophy rigs also need to chainsaw there way through most of the thickets, so they can cut there path at whatever size they need, apractice that would get you thrown in jail in most areas, and would get our trails closed in most others. I also doubt that a bolt on store bouight rack would last long on the camel trophy series, so please compare apples to apples. I noticed that many of the fastest rigs to ever cross the Baja are 2wd, do you think it would be wise for me to remove my front drive line so that I can be as capable. A purpose built rig is a purpose built rig.

Jeff
89 YJ
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 12:05 PM

Hmmmm... 14 posts vs. 2664 posts. Built rig that most folks round here drool over vs. the unknown kid from R&D. Smart-ass vs. polite guru that has helped out many folks out of the goodness of his heart.

I do believe I'll go with H8Monday's advice on this one, your mileage may vary.

BTW, my lights are on the windshield hinges, and the verdict is still out. People in front hate me, but when I'm in the lead, the extra viz is nice. Either way, at $9.99 each I don't think I could go wrong, and they're too friggin cheap to be labelled "swag".

On the packing issue, I have the full-sized Jeepbox and love it, if it doesn't fit on the box, it doesn't go. It does qualify as "swag" and I still love it regardless of popular opinion.

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 12:24 PM

Bluseman,
I think you understand my point.
Your Jeepbox Im sure is fine for what you need, I run Tuffy boxes all over my rig, I bought them years ago, and although I am sure I would build something different nowadays, they still work well, so theyve stayed. they will however be removed as, well as my water can and ammo box on the rear bumper, as the Jeep goes on its diet.
Hay if someone thinks they need on a backhoe on their rig, and it works for them, then so be it. But if someone asks, i would say a back hoe is probably not a good idea for your trail rig,...(hmmmmmm, on second thought a backhoe could actually be very helpful), but I digress. If you ask a question on this board, many answers will come forth, they are not neccessarily 100% right for a 100% of the people, they are just suggestions based on experience. Take it for what its worth, there is nothing wrong with experimenting and trying new products, even if they dont work, its just cheaper if you dont buy worthless items(for your particular situation). But i dont mind giving an honest evaluation of what I am or have ran in the past, because if it doesnt work(for me), then I get rid of it. Put it in my file of experience, and move forward. take my advice for what it is worth, but no its not gospil, and I dont expect it to be treated as gospil, it is just one voice of experience.
By the way I hate my windshield light mounts, too much light bouncesd off of the hood in dusty conditions. I like my bumper lights and rock lights the best.Sorry I had to throw that in.

Jeff
89 YJ
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2001, 12:31 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I have a receiver rack that we stuff on the back of the tj when its the only rgi we take, it holds more weight than we can load on to it, coolers, tents, etc etc.. when i get to camp, I take out the hitch pin and take it off. its that easy. I never have to worry about it...
about the purpose built rigs... well. I have said it over and over... never in my life have I ever said"jeeze if only I had more light I could get out of here" lights are so low on my priority list that I ran most of last year with only 1 headlight..lol
I doubt that in ohio you'll need a rack that will enable you to go on week long safari trips where you have to wheel with all your camping supplies....another bonus it that the receiver racks are WAY cheaper that the alternatives.

~~Elusive~~
1 ton tj-7 thingy
http://www.jeepgod.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode